Plastering

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Marleicole1, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Marleicole1

Marleicole1 New Member

Advice to strip paper on gyproc then scrim joints and skim?

Attached Files:

2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Omg, board and skim it.

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

What are you aiming for , are you plastering it yourself , any experience ?

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It already has gyproc - which looks badly done. I would be tempted to cut a hole in it to see what is behind

KIAB likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Fill and bodge is not really the way to go. Overboard is best option. I've tried to remove tapes and re tape joints but it bubbles and looks naff.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best option over boarding.:)

7. DIY womble

Trick is with all such dodgy surfaces is to double skim ,
    PVA and skim one coat with multi putting tape in affected area, flatten but trowel as little as poss
    Let dry
    PVA and skim properly
    A lot of fuss it may seem but am just doing such a job , bonded artex ceiling and dodgy walls
    The initial skim took 2 hr for the whole room

8. DIY womble

A 2 day drying between coats is not for all

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I used to use oil based undercoat. Remove tapes. Undercoat then get the hell out because it stinks. Go back next day apply neat Pva and skim. Prefabs built 1950s by me are all naff and like pic. Was terrible and frustrating work with bubbles and pealing. I was young and needed the money, but the undercoat seems to hold back the wet plaster and stop the problems... Almost

10. DIY womble

Double skimming removes these problems

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIY womble I can see that working to as first coat hardens off. I do remember getting a staple gun out in frustration and stapling the bubbles back. Was 28 years ago and I was a kid on £45 a day and it was cit work.. Don't tell anyone though.Shush

KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  12. DIY womble

This room today was skimmed 3 days ago , some areas were bonded out as much as 10 mm, sockets moved about so old holes to fill , the customer had stripped the wallpaper as best he could so you can imagine the tears and gouges , very wavey ceiling , nice gloss paint on some patches so a good example of when to use this double skim method . I spent 2 hours wiping the room the first time and jolly pleased I did , just popped back to skim the ceiling for real and was a pleasure to do , easy peasey

Wayners likes this.