Correcting wall area where brush strokes are visible

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by squarecrumpets, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hello,

There are some areas where the painter corrected faults with a paint brush. This has resulted in visible horizontal and diagonal brush strokes that look out of place from the rest of the wall that was freshly painted with roller.

Is there a way I can fix this? Would using a short 4.5” roller to roll over them cover the brush strokes or would I have to sand down slightly first?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would very lightly sand, using 180,220 grit paper, then touch up with small roller, might need two coats.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, sand out the brush marks completely, rollering over won’t hide any imperfection (unless you lash on the paint mega thick - then you end up with ‘orange peel’ walls) :eek:

If you go back to bare plaster, then mist coat first

Roller over an area bigger than where the marks are and feather the paint edges out to nothing

You don’t want an edge of emuslion around the repair that will dry as a ridge and look terrible

What kinda emuslion was used - regular matt, washable, vinyl, silk ? (Again :eek:) ! Some sand easier than others

Painter should have known better than this. Every item you paint with will leave a differant texture once paint has dried. Even differant rollers leave differant texture

My pet hate - 2” brush marks alongside door frames, around sockets and switches, above skirts :(

Do you have this pleasure as well ?

4. Hmmmm doesn’t sound easy. It’s estate emulsion so not much sheen. I guess even if the new texture from the roller is visible it’s still better than horizontal and random brush strokes. Thankfully there’s enough leftover paint though.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well correct answer really is to get the chimp back that did the work and correct the issues

How long ago was work completed and when did you notice these issues ?

Happy with rest of work ?

All ended on good terms ?

Fully paid up ?

(Sorry it’s not meant to be an interrogation session) :)

It’s just that if these marks are really visable and he’s caused them by touching in a rollered finish with a brush - it’s a schoolboy error and this guy is a pro decorator maybe ? (Another question)

The making good is down to him

Try speaking with him and seeing his reaction (possibly won’t be pleasant, I’ve had dealings in the past with tradesmen that won’t admit their faults)

Good luck :)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Absolutely no chance of making an invisible repair if it the F&B Estate emulsion .......totally zero. Wall requires to be re prepared and the whole wall re painted to get around this problem.:mad:

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  7. Really? Why is this a problem with F&B Estate Emulsion??? I mean, what will happen if I just sanded down and painted over the affected area with a short roller??

Thanks.

8. Mate if you look at my threads you’ll know his quality of work and needless to say I don’t want to involve him anymore as it’ll just lead to more issues one way or another (work or stress). If it’s something that can be done myself I would rather do so.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I only used F&B estate once and once was enough, can't touch it up as it dries a different colour. Google it.......very poor reviews! I should know I'm a Chimp!

Jord86 likes this.
  10. really?? that's strange as they recommend 2 coats + an undercoat. Would have thought that with enough coats the colour would 'stabilise'. How many coats did you apply?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The undercoat has crrap reviews also. Paint was applied as manufacturers recommendations. Prefer Little Green paint.

12. that's disconcerting. thanks for the warning.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not read all your posts but i may have commented on a previous one

Now you put it that way, I fully understand you’re reasoning in not wishing to use this guy again

I’ve been in the same situation as you some years ago, a lesson to be learnt for sure

Good luck with repairs

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So Astra
    After reading about the poor finish to this guys work on several posts, do you think that my term ‘chimp’ was unjust ? (Perhaps to an actual chimp, yeah I get it)

I’m sure that your work and customer service are absolutely top notch, no doubts at all - so why class yourself as a chimp along with the OPs fellow ?