Power cable through a wall

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by mike246, Dec 2, 2018.

1. mike246

mike246 New Member

I am mounting a tv on a wall but there is no socket available. However there is a socket in the room behind the wall. Can I drill a hole through the wall and run a cable and plug from the tv through to the socket. Or can I install a switched socket on the tv wall and feed it by a plug and socket through to the other room?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've done similar but will you be able to get to socket to cut power to TV if needed. I'd drill through and put switch socket somewhere I'd could get to if needed behind tv. With back to back sockets be careful you don't bust through if 4 inch wall. Also will both rooms be on same fuse as it should be.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your clever & have a long masonry bit, you can remove one of the side knockouts in box & then drill through wall at an angle,you then don't get back to back boxes, but one offset to side.

Done same here.:)

4. mike246

mike246 New Member

The socket in the back room is a few feet away and lower.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Then really you already know the answer to this. You either enlong the cables from one side or the other.......................nothing else will work really.

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It can be done, however there are three types of circuits used to supply sockets.
    1) Radial either direct from CU or from a FCU either way you can't draw over what cable is rated for, so no problem extending, as long as correct cable is used, and loop impedance limits not exceeded.
    2) Ring final, you can take a unfused spur, a fused spur or extend the ring final, however ring finals will still work even if a wire becomes disconnected, so testing is more important then with a radial, although you should always test.
    3) An unfused spur, you can't extend from this, however you can convert it into a fused spur easy enough.