Leaked Water Stain Under Vinyl Silk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PJA, Dec 3, 2018.

1. PJA

PJA New Member

Hi all.

I'm after a bit of advice.

Last year we redecorated the lounge in our new house, and used vinyl silk on the ceiling and walls. A good choice we thought.

Unfortunately, the family bathroom is above the lounge, and the basin tap has a bit of a leak. Not so bad if we are about, but left alone for 2 weeks (holiday) we discovered a problem. In hindsight, we should have turned the water off :-S

Anyway, it has left a visible (in the right light) a mark on the ceiling in the lounge, not a large area (20x40cm maybe).

We can live with it until the next time we redecorate, or is it worth trying to 'repair' it in some way? I seem to recall that there is some issue with applying vinyl onto of vinyl.

Cheers.

P.S. The family bathroom is next up for replacing completely.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is there’s simply a stain, yellow brownish usually or has the paint and/or plaster lifted or become damaged in any way

If simply stained, needs 1 or 2 coats of a stainblock paint to basically er, stainblock the stain :)

Could use Zinnser BIN or Coverstain, both excellent products

If you simply paint over stain, all will look good initially and then the stain will miraculously reappear

Can’t see a problem with either the stainblock or vinyl silk going over vinyl silk

I’ve had a problem before going over vinyl silk with matt emuslion where the silk bubbles up in places, but your not in this situation

If any damage to paint/plaster, then obviously this will have to be repaired first

Painting any patch on a ceiling or wall there’s always a risk of the patch showing up, even using the same tin of paint as originally used. Once paint is applied, it gradually changes colour slightly so a repair may well show up

Sometimes better to paint the entire wall/ceiling but, patch repair first and take it from there - good luck

3. PJA

PJA New Member

Hi.

Its just a yellow/brown stain. The vinyl and plaster haven't moved at all, that I can see.

We can live with it, I'm just a picky so-and-so ;-) By the time we've done the rest of the house, it'll be time to redo the lounge.

Many thanks :)

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well in that case (stain only) and as ur picky, get it sorted pronto !

Stainblock, paint, done

If just a patch repair, what, an hours work tops (not including drying times)

So why leave it ? ;)

5. PJA

PJA New Member

Haha. Yup, I'll patch it up :)

Thanks for the advice.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No worries matey, hope all goes well