SMELLY PAINT (gone off?) - help!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by James MG, Jan 8, 2005.

1. James MG

James MG New Member

Hi. I recently opened an <u>old</u> tub of half-used cheap emulsion paint. It smelled quite bad and was very watery on top. I ignored this, stirred it and painted a ceiling with it. A week later the room (still) smells pretty awful (like Cat pee!)! Any advice? Should I remove offending paint (best way?), will painting over it solve or just delay re-emergence of problem, or could I paint a layer of sealant over it?
    thanks

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi James,

I think that if you give it another coat with good quality emulsion that should seal it. It is not a good idea to use old paint but you do get tempted if you cannot be bothered to go down to BnQ at the time. I used some emulsion that was about ten months old and it had bits in it when I started rollering. I cursed myself for using it as I kept having to pick bits off. That smelled a bit strange but not too bad. I thought I may have problems with it but it was okay when topped off with new good old Dulux Matt emulsion.

Hope this helps,

DWD

3. hof

hof New Member

We've had the same problem recently. We used an old tin watered down on our newly plastered walls. Didn't smell too good but was fine when painted over.

4. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Repaint with emulsion and use Petal deoderant this should shift the pong
    Ralph

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

tub of half-used
    cheap emulsion paint. It smelled quite bad and was
    very watery on top. I ignored this, stirred it and
    painted a ceiling with it. A week later the room
    (still) smells pretty awful (like Cat pee!)!

That's the first time I have heard of a cat putting the lid down after having a peee.

6. Errol Johnson

Errol Johnson New Member

Or James MG putting the lid down after having a slash.
    I bet the wife is confused about the strange smell in the wardrobe - try lemonade.

7. Lynda Plant-Wells

Lynda Plant-Wells New Member

Apparently you can add a splash of bleach to emulsion that smells of mould etc.

8. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

It's not Valspar paint is it? They have has some issues recently

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Really mouldy by now...............13 year old post!:rolleyes:

10. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

haha how did that one end up at the top?!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's probably well smelly after 13 years :(:(

Dam0n likes this.