Secure raw plugs in tiles

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jld142, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jld142

jld142 New Member

hello all,

First time house buyer, terrible DIYer.

My plumper fitted a toilet roll holder in my bathroom. It uses 2 raw plugs to fix to a wall through some tiles. See attached pictures. The problem is that the raw plugs (not pictured) do not secure the holder flush to the wall. Instead they wiggle meaning the toilet roll holder appears to be hanging off the wall.

Is there a way I can secure the rawplugs? I was thinking of filling the holes with builders caulk, pushing the raw plugs in whilst wet and then screwing the holder on and waiting for it all to set?

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the wall behind tiles solid brick ,or is it a plaster board on timber ( known as a hollow stud wall )

3. jld142

jld142 New Member

Hello Terry,

It’s hollow stud.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Hi. Then " normal" rawplugs are pretty useless. They are designed to expand into a hole drilled in masonry. You will be expanding them into fresh air. You could try the ones that are specifically designed for plasterboard fixing. What does the brass things back surface look like ( the area that comes into contact with the tile ) if its hollowed you could apply silicone to it before screwing it to the wall .maybe take a few pics to show here.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

How deep are the holes...
    what's behind the tiles.
    You may need to drill deeper....into solid and the longer screws to get fix.
    Or... use some plugs that are like this fischer duoplugs
    rs

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

9. jld142

jld142 New Member

Attached Files:

10. jld142

jld142 New Member

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Well silicone will be no use on that fitting.
    Isitreallys link to the plugs for hollow walls will be your best bet

12. jld142

jld142 New Member

Ahh ok. The problem with hollow fixings is that the holes are very close together and the hollow fixings would be touching each other which wouldn’t work. :(

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There is a good chance that the ones specifically quoted in the link would work. They have two lugs ,which if they are inserted in the hole in such a way that they are both gonna open vertically then they shouldnt meet the plug in the other hole.
    If they dont work ,then choose a new toilet roll holder ,with a much bigger anchor plate that can be siliconed as well as screwed in ,with the fixing holes wider apart as well.

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Use Fischer DUOPOWER plugs - available for 6, 8 or 10 mm holes.

15. jld142

jld142 New Member

For all those who are interested, the solutions suggested didn’t quite work for me. Due to the distance between the holes or needing to cut the holes in the tiles larger than they currently were.

Instead I pushed a fair amount of all purpose filler in the holes and inserted the raw plug. I waiting for it all to dry and then screwed in the holder. It’s solid as a rock now. Job done... hopefully

Isitreally and DIY womble like this.
  16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Lateral thinking.
    You'll go far young man. :):)

17. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

I'm obviously too late to the party but I've encountered this problem many times. There are always choices, such as trying to insert a smaller plasric plug inside the one that is already there or insert matches in, the screw will then cut it's way and 'expand' the matches as it does so.