Brand New Boiler & Central Heating System Instalation

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GBE, Dec 4, 2018.

1. What you have ended up with is a very lazy and untidy lash up.They obviously just wanted to throw it in any old way.

No decent tradesman woud put his name to most of that job.

I doubt very much if the manager of the firm would tolerate that in his own house.

2. GBE

GBE New Member

Hi Allsorts

Sorry if I have read this wrong but your post touch a nerve with me.

Yes I paid up before they started in full, £4500 cash the rest finance.

I dont really know whats good or bad that why I asked on hear before I opened my mouth and many here said its very messy which I throught in the first place. I will check my paper work and try and see if it should have been full copper.

I dont know what is valid, again its why I asked here first. I wanted to get a second opinion from experts like yourself before I complain if I complain. I havent said a word to the company yet. I'm gathering my facts

I already knew about the low water pressure into my home before so was not moaning, just trying to give this post the full details as I belive to be true, throw out the bait and see what I get back. Thanks very much for explaining about the Combi Boiler which I know nothing about.

Some of those plastic fittings dont look new to me. The routing of the pipes is part of what I'm saying looks messy, I have nothing to compair it with so how do I know if its a good or bad job. I'm a novice on these matters.

So if they covered over the pipes and I didn't get to see anything, is that OK to do? Pay the the money let them do what they want and dont question a thing, that just dont seem right.

The system does not work as it should I still have one busted radiator so no downstairs heating for the last 2 weeks after job finished, 2 11 year old kids in the house.

I only had one other quote that was about £1500 cheaper from a guy I never knew, I did not anyone who I could trust with that sort of money to do a great job so pick my company who I belived to be the best and paid the extra.

I'm defaintley not trying to be unreasonable that why my first port of call was here seeking advice. Which I'm getting thank you all.

Once I finished my fact finding mission and slightly educated myself on this issue then I will decide if I should say anything to them or not.

Once again guys thank you very much for all your kind help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Allsorts likes this.
  3. GBE,Allsorts is not a tradesman or expert,he is just a diy person who thinks he knows everything.

Dam0n likes this.
  4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's almost true. I am not a pro or tradesman (although I used to be a kitchen and bathroom fitter a long time ago and have since installed a few complete CH systems) or expert (who is?); I am a very experienced DIYer who has - at one stage or another - built and done every single thing there is to do on a house from digging & laying the founds to laying the last ridge tile. And everything in between.

And I still regularly get things wrong.

What I wouldn't say about your job is "What you have ended up with is a very lazy and untidy lash up.They obviously just wanted to throw it in any old way." That is simply an ignorant, cynical and unjustified thing to say. It comes from someone who is simply ignorant, cynical and almost always unjustified in what he says - and who wants to pretend he has 'standards'.

Enjoy.

5. No Donnie,that comes from someone who takes great pride in the work he produces.My standards are very high and no pretend about them.The workmanship there is well below acceptable in my book even although it works.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

[QUOTE="GBE Hi Allsorts

Sorry if I have read this wrong but your post touch a nerve with me.

Yes I paid up before they started in full, £4500 cash the rest finance.

I dont really know whats good or bad that why I asked on hear before I opened my mouth and many here said its very messy which I thought in the first place. I will check my paper work and try and see if it should have been full copper. I doubt very much it would specify the materials used - unless the customer insisted on this in the first place. There is NOTHING inherently wrong with 'plastic'; plastic and copper have their pros and cons, and each one is a better choice in certain circumstances. There is nothing wrong with their use of plastic in your situation.

I dont know what is valid, again its why I asked here first. I wanted to get a second opinion from experts like yourself before I complain if I complain. I havent said a word to the company yet. I'm gathering my facts. As Deleted member 11267 orgasmically explained, I am not an 'expert'. At least not one with paper quals...

I already knew about the low water pressure into my home before so was not moaning, just trying to give this post the full details as I belive to be true, throw out the bait and see what I get back. Thanks very much for explaining about the Combi Boiler which I know nothing about. The lack of flow to two hot taps is to do with the limits of the combi and not the mains water. I would say, tho', that if you were changing system types - eg. vented to combi - the plumbers should have run you through the pros and cons of each type.

Some of those plastic fittings dont look new to me. The routing of the pipes is part of what I'm saying looks messy, I have nothing to compair it with so how do I know if its a good or bad job. I'm a novice on these matters. It looks messy because it's plastic - that's all. It might be actually 'messy' (sloppy/lazy) if they could have run these two pipes more directly and couldn't be bothered. So ask them why.

So if they covered over the pipes and I didn't get to see anything, is that OK to do? Yes. Why not? What difference does it make? Pay the the money let them do what they want and dont question a thing, that just dont seem right. Whatevs. Your call.

The system does not work as it should I still have one busted radiator so no downstairs heating for the last 2 weeks after job finished, 2 11 year old kids in the house. Boo-hoo. BUT, they should obviously fix these issues within a reasonable time frame - one that's 'reasonable'.

I only had one other quote that was about £1500 cheaper from a guy I never knew, I did not anyone who I could trust with that sort of money to do a great job so pick my company who I belived to be the best and paid the extra. Fair do's. Some you call good some not so. 3rd party reviews and references are the best way to go.

I'm defaintley not trying to be unreasonable that why my first port of call was here seeking advice. Which I'm getting thank you all. Thank you, and you're welcome.

Once I finished my fact finding mission and slightly educated myself on this issue then I will decide if I should say anything to them or not. Cool. Perfectly fair to ask about things - such as the weird torturous routing...

Once again guys thank you very much for all your kind help. You are very welcome :- ) [/QUOTE]

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You human standards are a bit pretty low - as you've proved repeatedly.

Your tradie standards? Who knows. Would I trust your honesty to say? Nope.

8. You really do talk absolute trash Donnie.

I suppose this comes from you being groomed into your thinking by your ex mp mate,who is a Europhile and Fabian society member,you really should start thinking for yourself.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If i was getting a new system fitted I would be looking to get at least 3 minimum quotes. £1500 is a lot of money and difference between the quotes.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Re pipes, I used a mixture of plastic and copper in the loft conversion I carried out. The pipes were on coils so there is no joints under the floor.

I would be looking to get nail plates on the floor boards to protect the 'gas pipe' some GAS tape would have highlighted the pipe for future.

Allsorts likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Im still confused on the pricing, are you in central London.??

I had a new boiler with an unvented cylinder fitted in the airing cupboard, because i previously had a back boiler this involved a new gas supply from meter to new boiler some 15 meters of pipe work, a new 22mm main water supply from stopcock to boiler a similar distance, the boiler and cylinder overflow pipes running to the outside, new pipework for 3 radiators in my extension and all associated pipework between cylinder, boiler and existing rads.

For the sum of £4360.00 with a 10 year guarantee.

So im struggling to see how you've has 6 grands worth done. ??

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think the work was carried out by BG, looking back at quotes for a boiler with them being one, they were about double the price compared to other companies.

13. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You should have got a plumber

14. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Maybe 3 grand of it is for a fast track plumbing course for whoever did that mess?

15. GBE

GBE New Member

Sorry to all if I've become a bit of an old nanny with all this. I'm really thankful for all these comments.

5 Rads installed

I just re- read paper work and no mention of copper just states pipe work which I guess I have.

It did say, "We will complete your installation to the highest quality. ???

Yes I did not think of that one, use the money for a plumbing course and do the work myself. lol

I was given 5% discount off this price.

008 BS Quote.jpg

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

For that kind of money for 5 rads I would be disappointed with the job.

As I mentioned earlier.
    Check for pipe lagging, check location of magnetic filter and ask if the system should have been zoned.
    Also there probably should have been some type of load or weather compensation fitted.

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

GBE, I don't believe you have a leg to stand on. Good luck asking them to tidy up the pipework that's to be hidden under the floor.

You went with BG - overpriced at best. There is nothing special about them; there are better plumbers living close to you - and they'd be cheaper. BG has the 'name', that's all.

You are one amongst many to fall for the 'British' element thinking there's summat spesh about the company. There isn't.

Best put this down to experience.

Jord86 likes this.
  18. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

A shoddy job and not cheap either. Now you have got no heating downstairs and it looks like you might have more problems by the look of it. If 1 of those second hand push fit fittings came off it could get very expensive...for british gas

19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That quote pretty much says it all; Boiler £969 - hey, that seems ok! £50 off your magnetic filter - wooooo, what a deal!

Hang on - £1.7k for 'tailored extras'? What the hell is that? £3.8k for 'essentials'?!!! What the? o_O

Phew - they are giving a £200 discount...

GBE - you've been BG 'had'.

20. Look on the bright side.
    Their horses probably left you some fertilizer for the garden.