Need a reasonable router recommendations please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by APC, Dec 5, 2018.

1. APC

APC New Member

Hi, I have a small job to fit three worktops but I need a decent router, somewhere in the region of £200 if possible, any recommendations please. I already have a Unika jig that requires a 30mm guide and 1/2in 12.7mm straight router cutter.

I'd looked at a Triton TRA001 but the additional cost of the guides kit at approx £80 put me off it.

TIA

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

DeWalt DW625. Nicely balanced with good depth of plunge.

Edit: It's more than your budget but you won't regret it.

chippie244 likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I agree with Willy, buy that router and you can pass it on to your kids.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1 for Dewalt.

Quidco/TCP might save you a few more pennies.:)

5. APC

APC New Member

Thanks for the replies people much appreciated.
    I've heard of Quidco and just made an account but what's TCP I thought you put that on cuts lol!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. APC

APC New Member

8. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Yes. Don't make my mistake and get the Triton.

I love the rack and pinion plunge for worktop work, I can quickly make a cut without stopping by just clicking down one notch by feel, which means I can do multiple passes in quick succession, but everything else on that router sucks. It will shake and vibrate every single knob until it pings off across the room. The only way you can get a 30mm guide bush is to buy the full accessory kit for £80 odd quid as you already know. It won't even take the Trend router base that would let you use the trend guide bush.

It's a shame that it could be a great router if they sorted the vibration problem so it didn't shake everything loose and sold a 30mm guide bush on its own for a reasonable price. On the plus side though, it does do worktop work nicely if you aren't looking at spending the kind of money the DeWalt costs.

I keep my Triton router in a DeWalt toughsystem case in anticipation of getting rid of it and getting the DeWalt.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have the big Triton - an early model - and haven't noticed a vibration problem. Nowadays I have mine mounted in a table where it excels over many other makes - ease of adjustment and cutter changes, safety features and so on. I use my DeWalt for hand held work where it seems better balanced than the Triton - to me at least.

gpierce likes this.
  10. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Most Hire shops only hire out Makita power tools as the motors last longer than other makes. no one recommend the BRITISH make Trend? Kevin

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't rate Trend, got two Makita, & a elderly Hitachi myself.

12. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Thats the plan for mine - get it in a table when I get a DeWalt for hand work - that is supposed to be a strong point for the Triton. Mine came with a couple of features that help for this, like a rod / handle that drops in through the table when it's table mounted to make adjustments, and if you plunge to full depth it automatically engages the spindle lock so again it's ideal for a table. The vibration issue turned out to be a common problem with that router. It doesn't vibrate more than others, it's just the knobs and adjustments don't tighten tight enough, and the knobs can come all the way out, most of them are spring loaded, so they really do fire off if they work loose. I keep on meaning to have a play and see how it works if I remove the springs, and I even considered putting the tiniest amount of threadlock on some of them to stiffen up the adjustments.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Pretty sure the DeWalt and Trend are the same router as it been mentioned on other threads.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You may be able to get a second hand one off ebay?

I only ever buy equipment that's in good condition, as don't know what usage and care its had.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not been a fan of the Dewalt after someone cross threaded the collet - seems to be a common problemhttps://community.screwfix.com/threads/damaged-dewalt-625-router.16530/

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never heard of this problem.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Searching "dewalt 625 cross thread" throws up quite a few articles. Strangely, the common theme is that it is after it has been loaned out and comes back that way. Mine got wrecked by my old master carpenter neighbour whom should have known better.

The problem is that fixing it, isn't cost effective as it is virtually the whole router core is one piece and of course the thread is one of the key safety features

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've used loads of 625's and the ELU it's based on as it's the workshop router everybody has and never comes across this, the handles go wonky if dropped enough and the quick release depth stop can chuck a spring but other than that...
    Don't lend your tools out.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's really useful, I thought you were going to recommend a Ryobi +1 :eek:

big all likes this.