How much for routering sash locks?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MartinPL, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MartinPL

MartinPL New Member

Hi guys, I have got a question...
    Do you know average labour cost for cut outs sash locks (router out face plate + drill out 130mm in by augar bits for space of lock) and recivers on the frame. It’s industrial building and is around 400 locks to do. Only routering and drilling out.
    Thanks a lot for answers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Souber DBB Mortice Lock,quick & simple to use.

3. MartinPL

MartinPL New Member

Thanks for answer. I do know this tool, but I have made MDF template which is better for me. My question is how much I can charge for each lock + reciver.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i doubt they will want to pay much above£5 a door to fit a lock
    but purely a guess

MartinPL likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a souber jig here, but I just ordered a JIGTECH,even quicker to fit a lock.:)

6. MartinPL

MartinPL New Member

Thanks a lot.

7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if you are jig up properly you will earn pently . i was on a hotel job the lads doing locks on front doors had a jig that cut mortice keyway and faceplate they had 3 routers set up with different setting they cut lock in by the time i drilled out 2 pop rivetts and replace with stainless steel rivetts

8. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Be nice to be getting an hour or half hour per lock multiplied by whatever rate you charge. Sounds from above as if you can get them in quite quick when set up right. That should be for your benefit though not the punters.

9. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

No way would I do that for 5 quid a lock.
    Have to be £30 the SOR value is nearly £80 including ironmongery

10. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Hi Martin, the price you charge will depend on how long it takes you to do the job. I assume all the sashlocks are the same, I would make a jig out of birch ply or MR MDF that you could clamp to the door. The aperture in the jig would be the same length and width as the face plate. I would then get the Trend 12mm long x 12mm dia top bearing guided router cutter and use the FANTASTIC Bosch 12volt cordless router. One you have set the cutter to the correct depth (thickness of jig + thickness of faceplate) it should tale you about 15 - 20mins to install the sashlock. You could also make a jig to drill the holes for the handles so you wont need to mark anything out. £10-£15 a sashlock? Kevin

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If I had 400 locks to do I would be looking to do the entire job with a jig. Or as much as you can with a jig. The rest with a template at least.

The problem you have is that 130mm is too deep for a router cutter

You need to work a way out of doing it all "idiot proof"

Perhaps work on the basis of it taking an hour a lock?

You will speed up but to start getting 8 done a day would be a good result (and return)

These aren't little bathroom locks they are big deep locks.

So something like £25-£30 a lock.

But factor in consumables too.

So chuck on a fiver a lock for all that.

I would go for £35 a lock. Price it a bit less if you are keen for the work.

If they go elsewhere so be it.

Its a huge number of locks to fit.

No point in getting into a race to the bottom price wise.

If you charge say £10 a lock and are going through a cutter and a drill bit every 10 doors or so that's a big hit.

This kind of "industrial" application will need good quality tooling. That's not cheap.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    gpierce, AlvyChippy and Jord86 like this.
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is exactly the point. Skills and knowhow are commodities that need charging for.

We all make what we do look easy.

That's no reason to reduce the profit.

Save the charity work for those that really need it.

AlvyChippy, gpierce and Jord86 like this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

By the way. Absolutely love the Jigtech system.

So so quick and accurate.

Best part is the fact the bathroom locks take exactly the same time as a normal latch.

14. ginger tuffs

so what price did you get for locks

15. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

He's not got time to reply on here. Having to work like a dog fitting locks 16 hours a day to put bread on the table because he told them fiver a go. Also they have given him another job with 2 zillion more to do

Scott Green, KIAB, goldenboy and 3 others like this.
  16. ginger tuffs

come on gives all an update or are you still working on the locks

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He probably wanted an idea so he could barter down his subbies.........

ginger tuffs likes this.