Will our interceptor cope with 24 people staying overnight?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sue (on behalf of Paul), Dec 6, 2018.

1. We have a Victorian 5” diameter interceptor (please see the photo), serving our 7 bedroom house with 6 WCs.
    During the last 20 years we have had up to 12 people staying overnight with no problems.
    However, next August, we will have 24 people staying overnight (including 8 camping) and I’m worrying whether the interceptor and drains will cope during the morning.

Any comments or suggestions please.

I am considering periodically flushing all six loos (with water only) at the same time during the morning and, perhaps, also flushing the interceptor directly with a number of large buckets or containers of water.
    IMG_3010.JPG
    Your thoughts please.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shallow!

Just make sure those camping are uphill of manhole, otherwise it will take bed wetting to a whole new level...:D

Think you'll be ok, as you can only have 6 toilets used at a time,doubt they will all be flushed at same time.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    The Teach likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Depends on the menu your serving and if the guests (camping / glamping) will be flushing wet wipes away or not

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

the U trap can be vulnerable to blockages but it's handy the rodding eye is missing its plug. If the U part blocks then there is an automatic second means of direct drainage to the sewer.

Very shallow indeed :(

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Yes as DIY Dave noted, put a sign up " no wet wipes" place in bin.

6. Thank you for all the comments so far. I think I should explain that the camping people will be using the loos and bathrooms in the house, not special "camping" facilities.
    Paul says the problem he is concerned about is that solids flushed down the toilets tend to just sit in the interceptor trap until they are broken down enough to flow on their way. He's concerned that the solids will build up before they're broken down with 24 people contributing!
    I wondered whether putting any chemical (soda?) in the loos at any point might help but he is adamant that the chemical would get too diluted too quickly to do any good.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Serve curry and red wine, no problems :)

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Random buckets of water down the manhole during the stay of extra people.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No ‘johnnies’ either, but we don’t know what type of gathering this will be I spose ......;)

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you place it in the bin, they're not going to be able to read it.

chippie244 likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sounds pretty could, 24 people means each person gets the job of pouring water down the hole each hour to cover the day :D

12. Well, if all our guests are on as good form as you lot, we're in for a very jolly weekend! (Our 50th WA, by the way) Paul suggested the four grandchildren (will be between 5 and 9) could be put in charge of filling the buckets to slosh down the hole. I wondered if there could be a flaw to this plan.

teabreak likes this.
  13. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

it could leave them drained at the end of the day.

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I'd go to the next manhole down the line and put a net in it just in case you lose a grandchild down your one. :p:p

teabreak likes this.
  15. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

you could invite the police then they would send round the interceptors.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

On a serious note;

It may be worthwhile hiring a couple of porta loos for the weekend and place them in the garden

Can get really posh ones these days, I’m not talking about a tiny plastic hell hole that you get at festivals or on a building site

More like proper loos, wooden toilet seats, hot and cold running water and china basins, posh soap and hand cream, lights, electric hand dryers, and all manner of creature comforts

I had the pleasure of using these loos at several craft fairs during the summer, actually a pleasant experience (although to be honest, the ‘hell hole’ style at festivals doesn’t particularly phase me that much)

As it’s a big celebration, makes sense splashing out (opps :eek:) a few more quid and at least looking into this option. Would certainly ease the situation on the house plumbing

Congratulations as well on this monumental forthcoming milestone :)

WillyEckerslike and chippie244 like this.
  17. Thank you, Dave
    We had thought about this - and I had rather ruled it out (thinking of the horrors you allude to). Maybe we'll think again and look into the cost of getting something really nice. (The costs of this whole project are a teeny bit scary already.) Thanks for your congratulations too. I'm having fun thinking about the food options and Paul jokes that I'm in charge of food IN and he's in charge of food OUT! What Chippie 244 suggested above did cross my mind for the reasons he suggested.)

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member