Caravan testing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bradley6969, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Right at this job with another electrician, we are doing an EICR on a fairly big caravan site, we’ve changed an old distribution unit feeding some caravans for a new one and some additional breakers, now I’m saying to him we need to do an EIC but he’s saying he’ll just put it on the EICR he’s doing with schedule of circuit details and results?

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Should have an install cert for the board as well as the EICR you have been asked to produce. But at the end of the day I suspect the owners just want a bit of papaer that says the installation is safe so there is someone else to blame if something goes wrong, they won't care what bit of paper establishes that.

3. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Thanks sorry I’m only an apprentice so just want to learn a bit but my trainer seems to be a bit of a cowboy I just want to learn the proper way

4. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Surely if he did do an EICR and not have an EIC for the board change who is to know he done it? As I’ve seen it before where people have used NICEIC stickers so you wouldn’t of known who has done the instal

5. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

Main thing to remember in a caravan site is that hook ups / vans have to be TT unless it can proved to be TNS

6. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Yes TNCS - PME not permitted
    Just the paper work that’s got me as he said that he doesn’t have to do EIC as it’s more paper work

7. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

He should de a EIC
    I have seen this a lot lately on board changes on domestics no quite done to regs so they give the customer a EICR and note the faults as if it was someone else’s work.

8. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The installation certificate actually certifies that the installation is safe and installed to 17th edition standards. No certificate means you are taking a chance even using the installation as there could be any number of problems

Risteard likes this.
  9. peter palmer

So does the EICR though.

10. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

No the eicr is a report on the existing installation whereas the installation certificate is as it says on the tin,a certificate that is used to certify a new installation, the eicr is not to be used to certify a new installation.
    An eicr can be issued regardless of how unsafe the installation is. An installation certificate can only be issued if the installation is safe for continued use

Risteard likes this.
  11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

An EIC
    • Design
    • Installation
    • Testing
    An EICR
    • Inspect and test (with limitation)
    If following an EICR work is necessary to bring the installation up to a satisfactory condition then the appropriate certificate for that work should be issued.

Occasionally when doing an EICR I put right minor faults that if left would give an unsatisfactory report.
    The observation is listed in the EICR but no code given and the words “rectified during inspection” added.

12. peter palmer

I didn't say that, however an EICR will still tell you weather a new consumer unit has been fitted correctly or not, even if you did the job yourself.

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The EICR is a professional opinion on the installation, so to cover ones self you would need professional indemnity insurance (although often included in public liability insurance) however the EIC report is a declaration that you have designed and installed as well as inspected and tested, so would be covered by PLI.

So changing a distribution box, like for like, the person has not designed it, some one previous has designed it, so one should not be completing a EIC as it would be missing a signature for the design.

However there is a minor works certificate which will allow for a signature to say you have fitted it, without signing to say you have designed it.

If however circuits have been added, then it would need an EIC for the circuits added.

14. peter palmer

Surely you have designed what MCB's and RCD's are needed to cover each circuit, if you remove a 30A re-wireable fuse and replace it with a 32A MCB then all sorts of parameters have changed and you would have to justify that design if things went wrong.

15. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The 2 documents are not interchangeable, 1 is a report and 1 is a certificate.

16. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

A minor works certificate is not to be used for a consumer unit change

17. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The eicr does not certify anything as it is a report not a certificate

18. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Why? It's not a new circuit, I would myself use an installation certificate as it has the options to put in all the results, and you really want the schedule of test results, however you could simple test to see results are the same as old certificate assuming you have the old one. However it states:-
    "A separate Certificate should have been received for each existing circuit on which minor works have been carried out."
    So a 12 way consumer unit would need 12 certificates, so in real terms yes better to use an installation certificate and write under special notes that only the consumer unit has been changed.

19. peter palmer

I didn't say that either, simple question, will an EICR tell you if a new consumer unit is safe or not? it just needs a yes or no answer, not some incoherent rambling about regulations.

20. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You claimed that an eicr will do what an installation certificate will do,that is what is called incoherent ramblings. And before you question any one else's knowledge you should question your own