Hive install

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Maverick1888, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

Hi.
    Looking for a bit of info.
    I have just installed a single channel Hive,the problem being it wont work unless the old thermostat is connected and turned up.
    The boiler is a crappy isar 30100 the wiring at the timer/programmer was as per pic with a thermostat in the hall.
    I reinstated the link in the boiler between L1 n L2 and it wouldn't come on at all.
    Any help would be great,
    20181205_110239.jpg

2. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Assuming you’ve disconnected all the wiring from the old thermostat and time clock. Its a simple setup....boiler needs a permanent L-N and earth as does the hive base. The boiler only needs the 2 wires telling the boiler to come on or off connecting to i think terminals 3 and 4 on the hive base. If its wired up as above you may simply have the 2 wires telling the boiler to turn on the wrong way around.....

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Once the old programmer was switched on power went from terminals 1 to 3.
    From terminal 3 this then went to live/common on the thermostat.
    When the thermostat was calling for heat power went from heating on or appropriate number back to the boiler.

Your current thermostat is still part of the circuit.
    I’m guessing you were fitting the receiver as a direct replacement for the old programmer.
    The old thermostat needs linked out or the wires found at source and slightly modified.

4. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

Better pic. On the female side of this plug L1 n L3 are linked
    IMG_20181207_184957.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

The wiring is the way it was on the old programmer 2 isn't used and 3 is heating off 4 isn't used, i tried linking L2 n L3 at boiler plug to turn off the thermostat but the boiler wouldn't turn on, the only difference in the wiring from thermo to programmer is the link between L and 1 and the boiler having a black wire in L2

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Are you fitting the new thermostat in the same place as the existing?

8. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

yes. both receiver and wireless thermostat will remain in the original places

9. Adrian Wilkinson

Adrian Wilkinson New Member

Hi Dan .
    I'm in the middle of wiring in my Hive have a S plan system , surely if you have the boiler wired straight into L and N then it will run permanently?. I have followed S plan setup and the boiler "L" links in with two orange wires from the 2 port valves the problem I have is the boiler won't turn off, it seems to be working with the thermostatic valves rather than the Hive. If I disconect the "L" link from the mains and use the thermostat you can here the two port valve for the heating working . I'm stuck

10. Dan dan the man

No... if wired correctly, the boiler has a permanent feed ,but is controlled and switched on and off via the hive stat. There is usually a link wire in the boiler that is removed if being controlled by a wireless stat etc.

Boiler always needs a permanent feed to power the clock,pump overrun etc. the boiler has a relay that is controlled via the hive stat when heat is called for, thats what the link removal is for....
    You just need ro figure out which way common needs to go.

11. Adrian Wilkinson

Hi Dan
    Thanks for the reply, the live to the boiler comes from the orange cable from the 2 port valves right???. I'm not sure if my problem is my 2 port valve from my HW it has a white wire that is not used perhaps I need to get the 2 port valve without it?. I remember when. I had a issue years ago and I replaced the valve with the standard " orange, grey ,brown ,blue and earth" and the boiler played up then do you know if I'm on to something with this hunch ??
    . Really appreciate the feedback thanks

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

How much of the wiring have you altered.
    Without anything being altered this job would be quite simple.
    Simply plug receiver onto existing backplate.
    Remove existing stat, link 1&3 and safely terminate the N&E.
    Then fit new stat in place of original.

Maverick1888 likes this.
  13. Maverick1888

Maverick1888 New Member

Thanks Mike,I have not altered any wiring.
    is it link L&3 as theres no 1 in the stat ?
    and just leave the programmer as it is.

14. Adrian Wilkinson

Hi Dan i only have Live netural and earth for the boiler there's no switch wire I thought the boiler powered up though the orange return cable from the port valves

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Sorry yes L&3

Maverick1888 likes this.
  16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

There is 4 wires at the boiler.
    Looks like there is a switched live.

17. Adrian Wilkinson

Hi Mike I only have Live netural and earth at the boiler

18. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Adrian need to start again.
    I’ve just realised there’s 2 of you guys asking questions on the same thread.
    Ok. What hive do you have? Heating or Heating/HW?

19. Dan dan the man

Sorry adrian, I didn’t read your reply properly(few beers) and assumed yours was a combi too! System boilers are wired very differently to a combi! Lots of other parts to control. You’d be advised to get a spark in to wire it as its impossible to figure out over a forum just how its been wired previously and using which color wiring! I’ve seen system boilers wired in all fashions of colors so it’s pointless trying to advise which cable goes where without being there testing the cables.

20. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've said this on a few threads, the only way to get stuff like this working is to disconnect everything and start again, there is no guarantee its been wired up correctly in the first place, especially if there is a 3 port valve in the equation.

Its really simple to do if you can follow a wiring diagram and understand how stuff works. If not then its time for a professional. If Hive and nest said on the box that they are complicated to fit then they wouldn't sell any, they are advertised as simple things so they sell by the bucket full.

Dan dan the man likes this.