Matt emulsion on stained wood?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Theleman, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I need to paint on the loft hatch door made of solid hard wood panel. It had been stained with dark brown colour long time ago by previous owners.

What would be best paint for it? I have left over matt emulsion, satin wood and eggshell.

Thinking of putting on matt emulsion first, and either satinwood or eggshell? Would it be ok? Or is there better way?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would hit it with a stain block paint first two coats then whatever you like, other wise you will end up with endless coats of paint in an attempt to cover.
    Most DIY stores do several I like Zinsser Bullseye 123 myself but any will do.

3. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

How awkward would it be to strip the old layers away and paint afresh?
    I like to go back to the wood before applying a new coat wherever possible, although i don't use emulsion on bare wood.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Varnish can be stripped but stain has soaked right in.
    Lots of sanding!!

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I would have thought Matt emulsion without mixing any water would be quite thick. I know still the dark stain soaked for years would show up.

But then eggshell or satinwood top coated are real thick paints enough to cover the stain?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

‘I have left over matt emuslion, satin wood or eggshell’

Surely you would paint the loft hatch the same finish as surrounding woodwork ?? Wouldn’t you ??

Ie, door frames, skirts, etc

I know I would but maybe I’m being over fussy ;)

If old varnish I would use Zinnser BIN, solvent based, more covering power I recon

But there again, see what uv got laying around, maybe a coat of peanut butter or L’Oréal shampoo first and see how that goes :)

RolandK likes this.
  7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Good imagination, but always get wrong :)

Zissner gets recommended highly but when you read negative reviews about it, you feel is it worth bothering?

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

But then eggshell or satinwood top coated are real thick paints enough to cover the stain?

You risk bleed through stain blockers are formulated to prevent this.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Emulsion is water based, I bet your satin wood and eggshell are as well ? (Can get solvent based versions of both)

Water based paints will have no ‘guts’ to stain block the dark varnish/stain/marmite that’s on your loft hatch

As above, a dedicated stain block product is best in this situation

If you don’t want to purchase any, then use a solvent based gloss paint after rubbing down, 2 coats should do it (you’re clearly not bothered about matching surrounding woodwork)

This will block out the Marmite and act as a top coat as well

Doesn’t have the adhesion over varnish of say a dedicated stain blocker and may chip away under constant use but, it’s a loft hatch, not subject to a lot of abuse I guess

Any solvent based gloss paint laying around ? ;)

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Depends too on the hatch construction if it is just a bit of ply on a batten frame just knock up a new one!

PhilSo likes this.
  11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yeah, I think there are some gloss paint left overs in the shed. I painted outside window frames with it.

Yeah, it was just idea.

I painted using white satinwood a bathroom door made of wood treated with linseed oil. I remember having had to paint 3x coats to totally seal dark stains of the wood. That was about 2 year ago, and it is still holding up sell.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

People often do not use the correct Zinsser product for the job expected from it.....yes it will dry in 45 minutes and scrape off quite easy..............full cure is achieved after 5 days.

teabreak likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Turn it over, paint other side.:)

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Zinnser BIN is what you need. What negative reviews? Sometimes 2 coats are required and folks don't allow enough time for it to harden off but if you read and follow the data sheet it works a treat..example.. It says to leave 1 to 3 days to dry off before you top coat but some only leave a couple of hours hence it fails

15. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Paint with emulsion, rubbed in with wire wool(wear gloves), then any topcoats.

Theleman likes this.
  16. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

So, maybe Zinnser BIN could be used for painting on the skirting boards in one of the rooms? It is totally vinyl finish on the boards, and when I tried painting on it, paint was just all dripping down to the floor.

17. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yeah, I was going to also try this. Giving a light rub on the hatch door with wire wool or sand paper, and then apply emulsion.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't forget the tweezers to pick out the rusty wire wool from the emulsion once it has dried. o_O

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are the skirtings upvc?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yes, it is.

The inside seems MDF, but finish looks UPVC.