Washing machine noise?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Prady Gadaria, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Prady Gadaria

Prady Gadaria New Member

Hi,

i was wondering if there was anyone with any experience with washing machines, who could help?

I have a panasonic NA127-V3B washing machine.

Recently it has started making a really really loud noise on the spin cycle, similar to as if it was unbalanced, but all the time.
    There is also sometimes a sound as if the drum is rubbing against something. This sound also happens if I just move an empty drum around by hand too, but I cant feel any resistance, and its not all the way around?
    Also in the last couple of days, on a high speed cycle 1200rpm, there has been some sort of burning smell, but not so much like rubber?
    Does anyone have an idea what may be happening? The spin cycle still works, there is just a lot of noise (too much to run the machine overnight of even have a conversation in the kitchen whilst its running.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

2. Bearings worn out.

3. Prady Gadaria

Prady Gadaria New Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267, do you know if it is easy to get someone to fix or just worth getting a new machine? this one is now over 4yrs old? Sorry I am completely clueless about home appliances.

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I'd pop the lid off and watch it when the problems appear, diy disclaimer, I do rabbit ears occasionally ( and worse , not for customers )

5. DIY womble

It may wobble more than usual so be aware

6. Prady Gadaria

Prady Gadaria New Member

Thanks for the advice, but I wouldnt have clue what was normal, and what was wrong.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does it have any manufactures warranty, only saying as I purchased one a few years and it came with 5 years warranty with the machine, the machine had to be registered within 30 days of purchase, unfortunately I never did :oops:

The appliance developed a fault a a month back, the manufacture still repaired the item as they used the serial no. :)

8. Just googled your machine number and there was numerous listings for bearing kits so it must be a common problem.
    The kits are only £7 odd so might be an idea to get a repair estimate if it is free.
    I do not repair appliances therefore cannot help on price.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Possible a drum stabilizer has sheared off.

10. Prady Gadaria

Prady Gadaria New Member

I've flipped the lid off, and looking at the machine when there is no noise, and excessive noise, nothing seems to be different, though it does sound even more like the drum may be rubbing against the plastic housing that it is in? Is this possible?

11. Prady Gadaria

Prady Gadaria New Member

I've managed to find the espares video on noisy drums, and it definitely sounds like that.
    I think I may ring around and find out how much it would cost.thanks for all your help guys

12. DIY womble

So with it switched off I would rotate the drum by hand and listen and feel to see if you could pinpoint further, diy disclaimer ....it's late and I've had a good night

13. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

i fixed someone's washing machine very noisy when spinning it was the stabilizing block on top of the drum the two nuts had come loose five minutes all fixed one very happy couple.

14. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

It definitely sounds like the bearings have gone. To check that make sure the machine is switched off, preferably at the plug, open the door and put your hands either side of the drum and rock it. You will feel movement there if they're worn; however the tiniest amount is not uncommon. Replacing is easy enough if you're competent but needs the old bearings drifting out etc and takes a takes a fair while so depending on the age is probably not asn economic repair if you're payiny someone. The bearings also usually sit in an aluminium housing which can corrode and the repair sometimes doesn't last that long.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Possible something as got between drum & it's plastic casing, (outside of drum).

ramseyman likes this.