Advice on potentially poor Door Hanging job please!!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by davejones2, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I don't disagree with you Deleted member 11267, but the answer to anyone trolling is just to ignore and report. Even if what they say dosn't fall under the report category you can just ignore it and don't reply. I do regularly.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Oh come off it, Kit! Look at my 'troll' on post #12; "I am going by the info provided, whereas you are a Leaver so the provided info means now't."

Come on, that's light stuff. Jokey. A tease. No less than he deserves!

Why do I pick on Dobbs? Not because he has differing views to mine, but because of what drives his views (and this applies to a few others too).

Why not take to task anyone who would describe every immigrant across the world as 'excrement'.

Reply to this, please, Kit.

And anyone who would try and use any information he thinks he has gleaned against someone else for his personal gain?

Reply to this please Kit.

Sorry, Kit - you come across as a decent cove, and our political differences can therefore be tackled as they should. But Deleted member 11267? No.

Thank gawd he's a Leaver.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Brexit references need leaving out of technical threads DA, even if they're meant to be light hearted. What will happen now is that this will descend into a slanging match (more than it has already) and will get deleted. When it does, lots of useful information about acceptable standards of work, repairable veneer damage and hinge positions will get lost to anyone who's interested. It's not fair on them and especially disrespectful to the OP.

Paulie1412, RolandK, gpierce and 4 others like this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only skimmed through this post and taken a look at pics on my phone

Damage to veneer looks really bad, can I see chipboard core exposed ? (As I say, only looked at small pic on phone)

Also doors have scratches along the width, presumably from the sole of his circ saw ? (Even though looks likes trimmed with an axe) :eek:

I’m only diy, but have cut down a good few doors 100% better than that

Agreed, not so good on fitting them, around a day per door so don’t bother :(

Few months ago a friend had his bathroom gutted/refitted which included floor tiling. Veneered doors already fitted then needed trimming. Bathroom fitter was going to arrange for a mate to come over and trim - this never happened

So he asked me. Never cut down a veneered door before but knew enough to invest in a new blade, 70 tooth Freud in my Titan track saw

Double layer of masking tape, cut was beyond perfect

Polishing out and/or filling/waxing damage is gonna take some luck to achieve a perfect result

Why should you accept less than perfect on brand new doors from a pro or a bodge job repair

Of course, see what the finished result is but I would be discusing damage and how he means to proceed forst thing on his return

If his blade was blunt or knackered or didn’t have correct blade with him, he should have delayed the job

Looks like a ripping blade used, 40 tooth, probably less (and they were totally blunt)

Good luck

Allsorts and seen it all before like this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Completely agree. Irrelevant of who starts what, keep politics out of the building forums.

6. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

Thank you for your input and advice.

I'll have a discussion with him before he starts tomorrow morning to find out his plans to repair the damage he's done.

Thanks to this thread I've got a much better idea on what to expect so thank you to all.

Will update with final progress / pics.

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Listen, pal, I need to delete this thread 'cos I said the doors should have 3 hinges whereas they apparently should only have two, so currently I'm looking stupid.

(And Deleted member 11267 deserves everything he gets; he caused the descent... :))

8. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

Quick extra question: should the trimmed top / bottom of the door be finished like the sides with some sort of varnish-type product?

Thanks.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ideally yes.

10. Gregor87

Gregor87 Member

Very poor workmanship in my honest opinion. The bottom of a door shouldn't splinter like that, unless it is cut wrong. There are a variety of methods that I use, some mentioned previously by another member.

That is basic and is a good example of laziness!!

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

or... efforts given, in accordance to price/client or even timing pressure?

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

But that is no valid excuse, surely.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not in most situations, no.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Funny no update...............perhaps someone's had a Glasgow Sandwich!:p;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  15. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

Apologies no update with pictures; guy is decorating too so doing things bit by bit, wanted to wait until he says he is finished. For what it's worth the decorating side of things seems reasonably good.

When we spoke on Monday morning he said that it's impossible to avoid splintering the doors all the time when trimming them down so much. In fact he said he finds it happening with "most of the doors he does". Thanks to you guys I knew that was nonsense but as I felt he'd done a reasonable job with the gapping given how uneven some of the frames were we let him carry on and finish up / decorate as quoted.

The splintering is much less noticeable with some sanding / varnish so we will have to accept this for now as we let him carry on.

The latches etc all seem to work, there is some untidiness to the cutting out for them and they aren't all 100% flush the whole way round but not sure if this is nitpicking really.

The worst door with very uneven gapping at the bottom will need retrimming in a few weeks when we get the door threshold changed anyway (flooring people ***ked that up too). Just need to find someone who might do it properly!

The reality of standing in your own front room and outright disagreeing with an apparently experienced tradesman is rather different to posting on here unfortunately so I'm going to have to pay him his £65/door I think. It was stupid of me to let the same person do doors and decorating as we were left high and dry if we told him to stop. The world I professionally inhabit is light years away from this sort of stuff so I'm a bit of a fish out of water if I tried arguing my case.

I think the job overall is fairly poor given we started with some untouched prefinished doors and part of me wishes I'd told him to leave it on Monday morning but whats done is done!

He refused to varnish the tops and bottoms; said it wasn't necessary and he didn't quote for it. I'm going to have to try and take all the doors off and do it myself at some point. I would have expected the doors to be hung and finished to the manufacturers specifications when getting a pro to do it but again, can't argue as didn't get the quote in writing.

Will take some pics tomorrow evening when he says he is finished.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If he finds it happening with most doors he does then he's not a carpenter who's experienced in hanging doors I'm afraid. Either that or he's a complete nana.

Allsorts and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry but that’s a ridiculous reply Alvy;

Even if you’ve been hammered on the price

Even if your clients a nightmare from hell

Time isn’t on your side and your outta pocket

Cutting doors like that with the wrong blade that’s totally beyond shot is a total disgrace

If the job was that bad due to above ‘pressures’ (client, price, time) surely no professional would carry out such s hit work and sleep at night .... cant believe it

Would be better to say ‘ F That’ and walk away from the job

No excuses for that splintering

18. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

That's what I thought.

If I did the bottoms of just the two kitchen doors what's the chance that would leave a problem in the future for the others? Our house isn't humid / damp.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

How many doors have been fitted and out of those, how many of them have badly splintered ?

20. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

6 doors fitted, two badly splintered.

Gapping acceptable to me on all but one where he has *I think* tried to do something very difficult where the bottom has been trimmed to different depths to take into account the flooring threshold varying the height. Fortunately this need to be levelled off in the near future anyway.

Latches etc all work, I'm guessing he has yet to adjust them so that close tightly without rattling in the draft.