8mm x 140mm Screws Into 3" by 2" Struggling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Carl_m, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not without stripping the battery right down after a few attempts, a pilot hole really is required, and even then the size of screw you're using will take its toll on your driver very quickly.

2. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Would size screw would you recommend for 3" by 2" timber

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It really depends on the scenario,but unless you're doing heavy structural work, it's rare you need to go above a 4" 10's, or 100mm X 5mm screw.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Going to return the ERBAUER driver and have just ordered a Dewalt DCF887 with 5ah battery and charger. Hopefully this should be a lot better!

5. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Different league

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

From a Mini to a Porsche.

Nice tool, brushless as well.

https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/Products/004000060012/EB%2FDCF887P2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI88LGwrWX3wIVbpPtCh1tEQkIEAkYAyABEgKJb_D_BwE

Don't forget to register online for the 3 year warrenty.:)

Be able to add further tools to your collection now,you'll soon get the bug.:D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  7. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

It's a bit like women shopping for clothes , buy one , wear it out , take it back for the next size up , wear it , take it back , get a different one , and on
    We all pay more , not picking on you Carl ( personally) , welcome to sff
    Don't worry I post lots of rubbish so you can get your own back

KIAB likes this.
  8. DIY womble

Personally don't use self cutting screws as I've never been convinced that they are as good as a pilot and would still drill a through hole ( if you know what I mean)
    Also they are considerably more expensive

9. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  10. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Will probably still end up drilling pilots anyway and use some smaller screws as the ones I've got were left over

11. DIY womble

With a self cutting screw you effectively loose the pull of the tip length
    Do yourself a favour and buy garden room glazing from ebee or auction , free cycle and build frame walls to fit , cheap at this time of year

KIAB likes this.
  12. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

its not having any windows as its going to be a cinema/man cave, think i'll end up getting my wood from local builders merchant who is very good on price/quality

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch GCM 8 SJL 216mm 8" sliding mitre saw,superb saw,excellent capicity for a 8" saw, TCB/Quidco can bring bring down a bit.

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Try smearing a little Vaseline on the thread.

15. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

If you're screwing 2 pieces of wood together, you need to drill a CLEARANCE hole through the first piece. A clearance hole is slightly bigger than the screw diameter. You shouldn't need to drill a pilot hole, is the battery fully charged? Erbauer are not the most powerful impact drivers. Cheap and cheerful.

teabreak likes this.
  16. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Battery was fully charged when I tried it. Will give a clearance hole a test when I get my new Dewalt DCF887 coming to replace it

17. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

For drilling a pilot hole in 3 inch wood using a 5mm-100mm screw, I cant find any drill bits that are 100mm x 3-4mm wide. Most are around 61mm long so wont be good enough, whats the answer?
    Thanks

18. DIY womble

Yes kiab , what's the answer ?

19. DIY womble

I would pilot before attaching remove wood that's to be fixed , continue to required depth , drill clearance holes , push screws through and into pilot holes , drive each screw 1/2 " . tap wood together and drive all fully home

20. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

:(Edited item out of stock

DIY womble likes this.