Advice on potentially poor Door Hanging job please!!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by davejones2, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There isn't much excuse now as the 'carpenter' has said it usually happens with most doors he does, but before we were privy to that information he could have had things on his mind which impaired his ability to take the necessary precautions before cutting them. I think you're a bit quick to jump on the guy Dave. Everyone makes mistakes. It's what you do to put them right that matters.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If they're decent receivers he fitted then there will be a small flap inside that can be tweaked with a screwdriver to reduce the rattle, if not he'll have to move the existing doorstop.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I've never seen them type of latches, Jord, I like the sound of em.
    Have you got any links?
    Cheers.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You don't need a link longboat, all that has to be done it bend the receiving plate that goes into the frame back towards the door stop a bit.

longboat likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

image.png

Useless at this type of thing mate but this is an example of what I meant.

longboat likes this.
  6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Oops. I must have been a little over exited at the prospect of an adjustable latch and read what was said incorrectly.

What a great idea it would be though, if the mechanism for it was simple and cheap enough.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No lol, if you look at the receiver tab bent down all you have to do is bend that backwards towards the doorstop.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yeah, yeah, I know.
    I thought he meant that there were latches available that had a small adjusting screw that would move the latch itself horizontally by a mill or so in either direction.
    After reading it again I can't even imagine how I came to that conclusion, but, wouldn't it be good if such a product were available?

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  9. Gregor87

Gregor87 Member

Davejones2,

I'd agree with your joiner that varnishing top and bottom is unnecessary. If it was an external product then I would definitely say that top and bottom would need coated with something to protect from the elements. If you think about how a door is made, the top and bottom would be most prone to becoming damaged over time as it would likely be the end grain of the wood. If it makes you happier doing it though, then don't allow anyone to tell you otherwise!

Latches wise, you may always get a very very slight rattle. Sometimes there is a very fine margin between perfect / not latching/ and a rattle! With certain keepers (the part the latch enters on your door frame), it can be adjusted slightly anyway and this can be what makes the difference.

Regards the excuse for poor workmanship above, it is in my opinion inexcusable to do such poor work. Yes we all make mistakes, it is part of being human, but as the clients joiner stated he has done many doors, then I am sorry but surely you learn from your mistakes after door 1!! It is not the clients issue if you haven't given them enough time between jobs, or you have priced incorrectly. I too have completed jobs where I have priced up poorly, and although it is frustrating, it is this experience which you learn from.

DavyJones2, I am quite an open minded individual. I don't like to slate tradesmen's work, but I feel like splintering a door is pretty basic stuff and I think joiners have to always consider which way a blade cuts, and what your finished edge is, and then taking the necessary precautions to give a good finish.

G

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Quick, get a patent on it. 50/50 split, you have no idea of the stress and bad language I was using in learning how to upload a picture :)

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Jord

Your right, our opinions on the job have changed as we’ve now been told the ludicrous statement that the guy made, along the lines of ‘this usually happens.........’

After saying this, then clearly the guy shouldn’t be professionally fitting doors and charging customers for his effort - no more than I should be (metaphorical speaking)

Yep, we all have things on our minds from time to time that may not allow us to concentrate 100% on the job in hand - that I get

But........ the guy has butchered one door, this must have been seen by him, you can’t miss it can you ?

He’s then gone on to badly splinter a 2nd door ....... no alarm bells ringing yet ???

Clearly his saw blade isn’t up to the task, not enough teeth, totally blunt, It’s not a wood blade perhaps

I know it seems easy for me to knock this guy as after all, I’m only diy, admittedly. And also, it could be perceived that I’m simply a keyboard warrior, hiding behind my phone

I’m a professional chef by trade, 27 years in the business

If I was filleting a lovely piece of fish with a totally blunt knife and the first fillet came off the bone looking like I had chewed it off with my teeth, would I then carry on using the same knife, or without sharpening it , to remove the next fillet ? ...... no matter what else I had on my mind at the time (usually about 20 other things realistically)

The answer to that would be, always, NO

Ok, agreed, let’s wait and see how the damage can be rectified

My mangled fish fillet would go into fish cakes / mousse / pie, etc

The door....... maybe turned into matches :p

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Dragons den here we come.
    It might be best if you remain a silent partner.
    They don't take kindly to the sweary stuff on TV.

WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If that was aimed at my post, then I certainly wasn't making excuses for poor workmanship, indeed if you've read the whole thread then you'll see that I've tried to give advice and be optimistic with the OP rather than just blurt out its cack and sack the guy, not very constructive is it? The damage has been done, doesn't really help by people harping on how poor it is. I'm sure Dave Jones won't be employing the services of the 'carpenter' again will he?

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With cheaper latches some rattle is impossible to eliminate sometimes.

I very rarely fit customer supplied ironmongery these days.

I tend to steer customers towards the jigtech system for handles and latches. Real quality feel to them, the latches are quiet and good quality and they are so quick to fit it feels like you are cheating!

If you do find a rattle is impossible to eliminate, then a clear rubber buffer like the ones on the inside of kitchen doors top and bottom of the rebate works well to reduce it.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I went on Dragons Den once and showed them my dads old shotgun.

Peter Jones said "and what's your idea then?"

I said "it's a simple concept really, Peter, put the fxxxxng money in the bag!"

longboat likes this.
  16. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Adjustable latch...?
    [​IMG]

Astramax and AlvyChippy like this.
  17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'd be raising both ruddy eyebrows if a custard asked me to fit one of these to a bedroom door.

18. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

I couldn't care less if the tops/bottoms were finished or not. I just want to do it properly. I only asked because the manufacturer instructions say to do so, the door seller also says to do so, and some posting on here also say to do so.

I had assumed the manufacturer was *** covering for very high humidity environments which is why I asked here. The guarantee is void as the doors have been altered anyway.

I've been given two different answers now so not sure what to do. Maybe just the bottom of the doors in the kitchen?

The latches have the reciever tab so will get him to adjust there.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm out! I can't see this as a worthwhile investment of my hard earned.:(

20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Time for a bed ladies!