Chainsaw recommendation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Dec 18, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Fuel composition has changed dramatically over the the last 50 years, so many of the octanes have changed plus all the additives are completely different

2. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Yeah it is all made with metal apart from the chain breaker which is plastic and corners are all crumbling.
    It is heavy, but I do weight lifting for keeping fit, so will be ok :)

3. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I wouldn't go any richer than 35-1 personally. 20-1 doesn't seem right for any engine.

4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I thought it was weird too. Because my Titan and Ryoibi Petrol Hedge trimmer were 40:1, I recall vividly.

20:1 sounded way off from norm.

Will take time when I get it, and research and check it for right mixture.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

number of times I have had people say that - they we start moving sand, cement, blocks or bang in a few hundred nails :D

Jord86 and Dam0n like this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If the saw really is from 1968 then it's very unlikely to have either a chain catcher or a rear hand guard and the AV will not be a patch on modern systems. I wouldn't bother.
    I have a large saw that I've had for 40+ years. It's got bags of power and is a dream to use but I won't anymore for the reasons above. Nor will I ever use a chainsaw on my own - it's much easier for someone else to phone for an ambulance.......

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forget it.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Coldn't agree more,just keep it as a museum exhibit.:D

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Lifting 25 kg bag of plaster around garden, plastering huge ceilings, painting, cutting 100 yards of Leylandii hedges 15ft high ... all these are good workout :)

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

The saw is very similar to this one. It seems pretty good useable saw.

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

It is not a big saw either.

12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Seems a good user.

13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I had to buy a new chain for the Bosch AKE35S for £15 the other day, so for £25 for a vintage chainsaw like this would be a good buy and interesting, and if it starts and works it would be a bonus?

And I will be also looking into a new Hyundai saw as well.

14. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I'd be surprised if it works after just putting fuel in it.

Check the fuel tank for rust and whip the carb off and clean it out. The jets will be gummed up and will need a thorough clean up.

Check it has compression by removing the spark plug, putting your thumb over the spark plug hole and pulling the starter. You should feel some pressure there.

If you're just cutting up firewood and it works then why not £25 is a bargain.

Please please make sure the chain break is working. It can save a world of hurt.

Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

PhilSo likes this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

There isn't a chain brake or rear hand guard. I can't see if there's a chain catcher (although I haven't watched the whole video). Your call.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is a chain brake on some of the videos.

17. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Seems like there is a chain break on some of the videos but not others.

I wouldn't bother with it at all if it doesn't have a chain break fitted.

I've had a few kickbacks before where the chain break stopped the chain before any damage was done. It's not a luxury it's an absolute necessity in my book.

PhilSo likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

Thank you. That will learn me. I'm at work and was on my coffee break. I'll wait until I'm at home in future.

19. WillyEckerslike

If there's no rear hand guard and chain catcher you're still missing some key safety features - chain brake or not.

20. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

20181221_235744.jpg
    Felled a cherry tree today.
    40 mins.
    Hit the turf.
    15 year old Tesco 40 cm petrol chainsaw.

So much fun.

PhilSo

Dam0n and Theleman like this.