Unintended consequences.......

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, Dec 29, 2018.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

At this rate we're going to have to make doorways bigger to accommodate the larger sofas that are needed to support our fat ar**s because we've become too lazy to walk over to the light switch/table lamp/thermostat/radio (insert essential gadget/device here) and must be able to control it with our phone!

Everything in my house is digitally controlled. I use my digits! It does mean I have to move - possibly even walk to said device but not only is that good for me - I've saved an effing fortune.

I absolutely understand how these devices must be a godsend to people with mobility issues but for the rest of us????

Just have a scan over these forums and see how many people are having difficulty with their gadgetry. Ironically it would seem that lots of people have lost the time and effort they've saved trawling the internet for solutions to their first world problems. Imagine if they had to walk six miles for a bucket of dirty water that they then had to carry home - they'd break the internet!

Heat, retiredsparks, longboat and 5 others like this.
  2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, imagine the dire consequences if a mobile phone company's 4g went down for a day..............................................oops :D

The end of the world is nigh.....................................and the legal profession jump straight onto the compensation bandwaggon.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's called 'Investing in our future'! :(

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Some of the buttons on my Sky remote don’t work so I have to get up and use the ones on the box.

The “0” on the remote doesn’t work and there aren’t numbers buttons on the box, so to get channel 501, I have to select 493 and then press Channel Up.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sky boxes here, have decided to play up,one won't switch on at times,other don't record, so have upgraded to Sky Q, got a good offer for phone,internet & sky, plus one mini box.

6. robertpstubbs

And Mon__ broke _he _ and _ ke_s on m_ lap_op. He’s now buried in _he garden.

kitfit1 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Looks like a trip to Curry's for you then :D

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Willy you have highlighted a very important point for discussion.
    I suspect most fancy functions on most gadgets are never used but sold as "must haves".

When gadgets break lots of people can't fix them or afford to have them fixed.(or throw in bin and buy new)
    Obviously there are certain aspects of modern technology which are a godsend and will enhance your quality of life regarding security, safety and reduced workload.

I wonder which 3 things members here could not live without. (ignoring phones, puters.. as they are basically essential to modern business and life )
    Rs

9. robertpstubbs

Icemaker.

10. retiredsparks

and the TWO others Rob?
    :)
    RS

11. robertpstubbs

The things I would like but don’t have are:
    a good gas bbq
    a good dishwasher and/or girlfriend

Heat and DIY womble like this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

My TV, hifi and bed.

13. retiredsparks

I was thinking more 'gadgets'...than wants or basics.
    :)
    RS

14. robertpstubbs

What are yours?

15. retiredsparks

Can I 'call a friend' as I need to give it a bit more thought.
    Rs

16. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Spare wheel, compressor and tyre pressure gauge

17. robertpstubbs

If you had a foot pump you might be less likely to get a spare tyre.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

ad blocker

19. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Remoaner Blocker

retiredsparks likes this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you trolling me?