Multi tool decision...Help!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diymostthings, Nov 10, 2018.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

2. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Bosch seems to have own blade fitting, which is unique, so that no 3rd party blades could be fitted to it.
    And Bosch blades are very expensive.

So the reviews say.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No,just usual starlock,& I buy the blades for my GOP 250 from Saxton Blades, blades also fit Makita,Fein, plus a few other makes.

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/fein-multimaster-bosch-makita-compatible-blades

Bosch do some multi tools which uses starlock plus,& starlock max, both slightly different to the starlock.

If I were to buy another multi tool, I would go for Fein.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Theleman and AlvyChippy like this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst the low vibration sealed it for me. The increased swing angle of the Fein makes a big difference when dealing with really tough materials. My mains powered Bosch couldn't cope with the really tough putty on some windows I refurbished. The Fein fought its way through, not easily but got through it which was all that mattered.

Like all tools the blades make a difference. It would be pointless having a high end tool with cheap blades. Saxton blades are good for every day use but some of the manufacturers own blades are unusually a step up again. Fein makes circular blades, which at first I thought were a gimmick but they are really useful especially for flush cutting. Festool make a multitool blade with "Japanese" style teeth that is about £15 each and will happily cut a 3x2.

Like most things you get what you pay for

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Bought another multi cutter Silverline one from Amazon for £23 including free delivery. It came with 2-3 blades and sanding pads but no hardcase.
    230V mains operated, and speed is 1- 6 settable. It seems a lot more powerful than the Titan one, and both makes blades fit to each other, so sharable.

Cuts wood panels and skirting boards like butter, but maybe not for extended use and not for more heavy duty work. For DIY, they seem acceptable and good value.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  6. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

I was replacing some floorboards a few months ago and needed to cut some of the boards I was keeping above the joist. I don't have a circular saw (don't trust myself with one!) so i bought a cheap wireless Titan Multitool which I was think was £60. The motor blew up after cutting just two boards. I swapped it for this Dewalt https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...VxrTtCh2sjwcVEAQYASABEgLdVvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and don't regret it. I have ended up using it for a lot more than I ever imagined.

It is expensive and it doesn't come with many accessories but it is a great piece of kit.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is a big difference sometimes between battery powered and corded tools but there is a big step up in engineering between Ttan and DeWalt. You will also find that at the lower end they throw in accessories to make the tools look more attractive. However, many of the accessories especially the blades are fairly useless.

Hopefully you should have many years use of it

8. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

I learnt that lesson a few years back, all my cordless stuff is now lower end Makita and Dewalt which I find more than good enough for my more DIY needs (I use my tools a few times a month but not daily or weekly) but I do sometimes I buy cheaper tools if I know I will hardly use them but need them for a specific job. My corded hammer drill for example is a high end Black and Decker which has so far coped very well abuse (much better than a Ryobi I had) but will change it for a Makita/Dewat/Bosch Blue when the brushes go.