Car tyres and punctures

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

On the subject of tyre punctures, I bet most of us do not carry a 12volt mini air compressor?
    Often the puncture is a slow leak and a compressor will get you home, or safely off a dangerous road.
    Great present for to buy your wife. :p

RolandK and Astramax like this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bought one a couple of years ago from a car boot for £2....................bargain of the week! :)

Heat likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

£2 is a bargain. I bought one over 20 years ago for under £6 and it still works well.
    Fact is we all will get a puncture eventually - whether this week, or in a year or two.
    The cost and bother of a puncture is usually significant.
    Imagine if you are going to be late for something, - perhaps in your suit and get a puncture? Compressor in the car will have saved you a fortune.
    The cheap nasty wee compressors are as little as £5, but still better than nothing.

Astramax likes this.
  4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

A compressor will not cure a puncture.
    A repair kit as used by the AA/RAC might.(temp)
    Or a spare wheel.
    RS

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A nail, or screwnail tyre puncture often can still hold the air in.
    Seen it happening me and when I pulled the nail out of a tyre, air blasted out, so I pushed nail back in and fully sealed again. :)
    A compressor might well allow you to get home, even if it means stopping a couple times to recharge the tyre, or to allow you to reach the nearest tyre place.
    And you might need a compressor for your spare wheel as not everyone tops the air up in them.

6. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

How very dare you hic hic :rolleyes:

7. balchy

balchy Member

**** roads full of potholes

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

We should have been given money from the EU to build our roads.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Roads full of pot-head like drivers who don't have the common sense to avoid the occasional pothole whilst riding on huge rims with low profile tyres.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you want to expand on this point?

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ireland, Spain, Portugal ETC ETC.

Heat likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Pointless riddles again, it really is past your bedtime.

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You really do show a complete lack of understanding of the EU don't you.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You really do show a complete lack of understanding period

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Edited your typo I see.

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not really tbh.
    Isitreally, on expanding my point was same as my thinking.

U.K. roads have deteriorated a lot compared with a lot of other EU countries, but maybe the money coming back from EU has not been for roads.
    Or our money paid towards other EU countries roads.

I think I heard once that the German car industry regards the U.K. roads as being some of the worst

17. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

We had to drive back on a Sunday from Wales toSurrey at a max of 50mph due to a flat tyre and having to fit the small emergency spare . I did find a garage open but would not carry out the repair but would sell me a crappy make of tyre for an over price. So pleased that one of my " must haves" was a proper spare and not the can.
    Last one was just a week or so back, not in the safe area but as the tyre was as near as possible to need to be replaced, 2 new ones fitted.
    Just some of the joys of motoring
    I always remove the security locking bolt before I take the car in for new tyres, don't want the hassle of a damaged head due to poor workmanship, knocking the life out the the locking bolt.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What typo. ???

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Roads are definitely deteriorating.

Think that has nothing to do with the EU though.

Its entirely down to the slashed budgets that the implementation of deliberate austerity has brought about.

Allsorts, Heat and Isitreally like this.
  20. Mikl8891

Mikl8891 New Member

I think the deterioration is due to corruption, the worse the roads, the more you can earn on their constant repairs.