Multiple Plasterboard Mounting Boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David A, Jan 10, 2019.

1. David A

David A New Member

I'm putting a number of sockets in a plasterboard wall using drywall mounting boxes to provide power for a computer workstation and all the associated paraphernalia.

Are there any guidelines for how closely you can position the boxes without weakening the plasterboard?

Cheers, David

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You would be far better off using a proper trunking solution and saves the grief off having proper separation between the LV and ELV. Forget back boxes.

3. David A

David A New Member

Do you mean bench trunking? It's for a domestic setting so I'm not looking for anything too industrial.

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

5. David A

David A New Member

Yes, I guess that you are right.

Thanks, David

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sorry David I misread workstation for workstations.

7. David A

David A New Member

No sweat;).

As a matter of interest, does anyone know why sockets with more than 2 gangs are virtually non-existent? I'd have thought that they would be in demand these days?

8. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I would leave at least 75mm between p.board cut outs personally, and that's making sure you do the cut outs nice and steadily with minimal jarring and nice neat cuts.

If screwed up nice and tight the wall should remain pretty strong. If you are still concerned you could glue small battens within the wall cavity by putting them through the socket cut outs, but that is overkill for most situations.

The only three gang sockets I know of are the type that go on to a double flush back box, and they look pretty naff IMO.

9. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member