Cooker Hood

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Gummo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Anyone know how I can dismantle this hood? It has stopped extracting - only thing that works is the light and the pilot light for the first degree for extraction.

I'd even be happy just to get it off the wall to enable me to install a new hood.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remove the screws on the lower cowling, it then should lift up a bit & can then be remove, it slides over the top section.
    The flexible vent pipe should pull out of the socket on the hood.
    There are two pozi screws on back of hood, visible in your link, which fixes hood to wall,remove them, then you can lift hood off the two supporting screws higher up the wall.

See this link.

Gummo likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The chimney cover may have been caulked to wall or plastered in so after removing screws, run a knife between cover and wall to free

After removing, wall brackets will be visable and all will become apparent :)

Gummo likes this.
  4. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks very much, comrades - you've given me the courage and confidence to tackle it now.

In the meantime, if I prove to be successful in removing it, do you have any idea as to how to diagnose it?

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The most common failure of cooker hoods is the starter capacitor. They're really cheap if you buy them unbranded on eBay or Amazon. I recently got a quote for a starter capacitor from Elica for £26 + postage. I got an even better spec'ed generic one online for £2 including postage!

Because starter capacitors are such a common failure component, it's worth mounting them 'externally' so they're easy to get to and replacement doesn't involve dismantling the whole hood, e.g. behind a panel or in the ducting housing. It does require extending the wire a bit, but that's only a one-off activity.

Gummo likes this.
  6. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Odd development - the fan which had been left at the on position - started working again of its own volition.

7. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I haven't been able to identify the maker of the hood - this is the only label on it:

upload_2019-1-14_23-28-36.png

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If the fan is now working, it's obviously not the starter capacitor.
    The fact that it started on its own now points to the switch. (Incidentally the switch is the second most common failure on hobs, as they tend to get a lot of muck in them from steam and grease.)
    If it were mine, I'd disassemble and clean out the switch, paying great attention to the contacts, which I'd clean with alcohol.
    From your video it appears that switch is relatively easy to get to now the filter is removed.

Gummo likes this.
  9. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I disassembled the switch and soaked its innards with alcohol for an hour. After letting it dry, there was no fan function at all.

The pilot lights at setting 1, but tiny and dim at 2 and 3 - see video.

10. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

PS: I'm thinking if there's any point trying to repair a 17-year-old hood?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Waste of time in my opinion.

New 60cm one anywhere from fifty quid upwards.

Gummo likes this.
  12. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Glad you said that.

Any recommendations?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Budget?

Extracting through wall I presume,if so most use 150mm ducting for best effiency & quietness, but you can reduce it down to 100mm if short distance.

Also look at extraction rate, can vary a lot on hoods from low to very high.

Got my last one from here.

https://ao.com/cooking/cooker-hoods-and-extractor-fans

Gummo likes this.
  14. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

15. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with that, like the LED lights, better than halogen,cool running.

This one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookology-...words=chimney+hood&refinements=p_72:419153031

17. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I'm going to go for that - it's cheap but my 17 year-old hood is unbranded.

Thanks very much for your time, knowledge and patience.

KIAB likes this.
  18. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

What about a Miele. This one will take you to the moon and back.
    [​IMG]

DA 2628 brws
    £2,149.00

Gummo likes this.
  19. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I've bought the Cookology one but I'm getting the Miele for (ahem) mooning.

20. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Preparing to install the new hood. I decided to test the fan before installation - anyone know if it's correct that only one of the black flaps opens during operation?