Ignition Barrel Removal & Chip Programing. Help!

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by FinnPeter, Jan 11, 2019.

1. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and I would like to know if inserting a new ignition barrel and key, I would, of course, need to program the new key chip as my old chip has broken. I have read that if you insert the key in the ignition at 3 times at 10½ minutes to position 3 and back to position 1 total 31½ minutes, that you are able to program a new T5 chip. Is this info correct, or would I have to have the chip programmed via a locksmith shop.

I have yet to remove the old barrel as it's stuck on 0 and I need to be able to turn the key to 1, no luck as yet. I have tried every method. If I have to remove the barrel via banging in a screwdriver and twisting it to position 1 or would it be better to drill it out or even both.
    Thanks for any help!

Opel Vectra B - 2.0i 16v - 1996

2. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't know if it's same as the Vectra C,(pretty sure it is) it's clearer in second link showing releasing barrel, there a hole on top of the barrel,use a small allen key in it,needs a bit of firm pressure, barrel should come loose.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Just take the old imobiliser chip out of the old key and put it in a new one.

If your saying your chip and barrel have both broken that screams stolen motor to me. How do you know the chip isn't working when you can't turn the engine over on the barrell to check?

You'll need to remove most of the steering column shroud to replace the barrell.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It depends: if it is the older key and separate remote open/closer then there is no transponder. It should work

If it is the combined key and remote buttons square type thing then take the transponder chip from old key to new one.

A 96 plate vectra should be the former type. Post a few pictures for us please and I can help further as run both 96 and 99 plate Vauxhalls with both systems!

6. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Thanks guys for all your help and the pic's. Steering column shroud has been removed. Would I not have to turn the key to position 1 or 2 for the allen key to work or will it release the barrel on 0 position? From your pic it looks like you turned the key to position 1 before you pulled it out or am I wrong? If I can pull it out on position 0 I'll give it a try!

Regarding the chip it was stuck behind the ignition and I was using my empty chip keys I have 3 to start the car. But somehow after many years the chip had fallen out onto the floor and when I found it I had broken in half with my foot and for some reason the key won't turn in the lock.

[​IMG]

I now have a new barrel and 2 new cut keys and awaiting 2 new T5 chips from the UK. By the way Vectra B chips T5 only work on 1995-1997 models and you need a T12 for 1998-2002 models.

My other question was I have read that if you insert the key in the ignition at 3 times at 10½ minutes to position 3 and back to position 0 total 31½ minutes, that you are able to program a new chip. Is this info correct, or would I have to have a locksmith program it which will cost a lot!
    Thanks for all your help!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Position 1,the allen key pushes down the locking tab in cylinder barrel.
    You might need to lift up allen key when in hole to get tab to unlock.

[​IMG]

8. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Thanks KIa for the pic and info. Yes I know how to remove the barrel via positon 1 but I am stuck at postion 0 which means the allan key won't engage the tab to remove the barrel. I can see that the key from your pic is at position 1, so the only way I am going to remove this barrel is by ramming a scewdriver down the lock and twisting it with a clamp,
    [​IMG]

I am awaiting a set of 10 keys from eBay that might unlock the waffers. I have tried picking the lock, no luck. I have a new barrel, I may just have to break up the barrel to get it out unless anyone has a better idea of releasing the waffers. Regards, Peter

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

And just to be clear there is no immobiliser chip in those keys.

10. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Jonathanc, Correct I have been using the chip attached to the ignition. This system was already in place when I bought the car second hand some years ago, and the 3 keys that came with the car were empty but worked ok until the chip came unstuck and fell on the floor for me to tread on and break! I am now awaiting 2 x T5 chips from eBay that I will have to program. When I bought the car I was never told about this and assumed that the keys had chips in, and all these years no problem until now!

I was thinking I could program these chips via my new ignition, but I have been told it's not true and these Youtube vids are a joke you have to have them programmed via a locksmith.

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I’m pretty certain you need to find someone with a Vauxhall/Opel Tech2 system and a car pass but I might be wrong.

I do know if my separate fob stops working then open the vehicle, sit inside it and open close it with the fob and it remembers you: check the vehicle manual if u have one. If u don’t I have mine around. And yes the barrel do pack up over time so need replacing

12. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

WD40

13. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Jonathanc, The same keys all work OK on my doors and boot, also my separate fob remote works Ok as well. So I shall try these keys as shown above when they arrive, who knows they might do the job, if not then it's a barrel removal by force, insert my new barrel and then get my new chips programmed.

Hi HarDeBloodyHarH, I have tried WD40 and Electric Cleaner and picking the lock, tapping with a hammer, you name it I've tried it, no luck. I think a pin or waffer has got stuck somewhere due to age. If I could get the key to move to position 1 then I could get it out and inspect what the problem is. Anyway even if I was able to repair it being such an old barrel it could happen again and as I have a new barrel why not just change it for the new one!
    Thanks once again Guys for all your help!

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

You really don’t need to reprogram anything.....

Try tapping the barrel housing as you inert the key whilst keeping some gentle pressure turning the key. If that fails then either drill out the barrel or drill out the shear bolts that hold the barrel housing on and replace that too.

But I still don’t think any re programming is needed...

15. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Jon, How come I don't need to reprogram. I don't have a chip anymore and 2 new chips in the post which will need programming for them to work. I tried all that tapping and playing with the key, no luck. Why would I have to change the barrel housing as well, a lot of work, and I don't have a spare, just replace the barrel itself should do the trick. So you think I should drill it out rather than bang a scewdriver in and twist it to position 1.
    Cheers, Peter

16. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

No reprogramming as those keys don’t have a chip at least the ones with separate alarm transponder. I’ve spent 20 years with 1996 and 1999 age Opel cars but if someone has convinced you you need a transponder well fine. Please send a link of what you have bought theY5 thing. Up to you how you get the barbell into positon II to get it out but there is a good chance you’ll knacker the barrel housing

17. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Jon, See below what I have a new barrel and 2 new keys plus my existing fob. The keys open up and there is a place to insert the chip. If no chip is in the key then the car won't start. You are saying I don't need a chip? My separate fob opens the doors also my old keys. I assume the new keys won't open the doors, only work in the ignition.
    You are saying that I don't need a transponder chip? maybe I didn't quite understand what you are trying to tell me? Yes you could be right that I might knacker the barrel housing. So maybe drilling it out instead of banging in a screwdriver would be a better idea!

You are buying a brand new, Genuine Phillips ID40 T5 cryptographic transponder chip as used in many Vauxhall / Opel models. The chip is easy to install and is suitable for most Vauxhall solid head & horseshoe type keys,

[​IMG]

18. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

HiJon
    Inside of key where chip goes.
    [​IMG]

19. FinnPeter

FinnPeter New Member

Hi Guys,
    I managed in the end after many days trying to get the key to turn to position 2 using lock picking tools and was able to remove the barrel and insert my new barrel. But now I have another problem in that the barrel will not click in all the way. I know you have to use a screwdriver first in pushing down the steering lock pin at the back of the barrel, but in my case it won't click down and stay down.
    So it seems I have a faulty steering lock pin. One way to hold the lock down while inserting the barrel is to remove the steering wheel and other fittings and go down with a rod though a hole to push down the pin while someone installs the barrel. One other way not so much work would be to drill a small hole in the side of the outer barrel and insert a small alan key to push down the locking pin while pushing in the barrel all the way for it to click.

Does Anyone have a better idea of how to get the barrel in all the way. Below a pic of the inner barrel and red arrow where you need to push down to click into place, mine will go down but won't click and pops up again?

[​IMG]