Massage on business/ through books

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by jimoz, Jan 12, 2019.

1. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Can we put a proper sports massage through our business expenses? If it's physical work we do i would think it justifiable. Booked myself in next week

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Hope taxwise this ends up with a happy ending.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I imagine that another sort of massage might have gone through the books as erection costs.

KIAB, Dave Marques, kitfit1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Funny isn’t it that you can claim as an expense for getting your van touched up, -
    ...but you can’t claim as an expense for getting yourself touched up?

Both are tools for work, so to speak!:rolleyes:

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Probably erection and demolition

KIAB, kitfit1 and Heat like this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Any chance of relief? Tax wise of course.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    KIAB, kitfit1 and Heat like this.
  7. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Should have guessed this would be the result! Anyway, seriously I'm putting it on the business account.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

My kitchen fitting partner has had an on going achilles tendon problem that requires him to see a physio every week. As the issue was caused through work, HMRC is perfectly ok with the £60 a week cost being put against tax until the issue is solved.

KIAB, retiredsparks, longboat and 2 others like this.
  9. murphyslaw

murphyslaw New Member

I tried putting a massage through... Accountant was not happy!

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I've heard yes and no...

I asked about putting private therapy through a while back... Got told "yes, that's fine, it gets you back to work so you can carry on earning and paying tax" and "no, you can't as the therapy isn't soley for work related activities...

Are you sole trader or limited?

If you've got a limited company I guess you could put it down as an expense to "compensate an employee who was injured at work"

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Have a look at health shield, really good company, you can get all sorts of massage options through them and it will go through as private health insurance

12. andyscotland

andyscotland Active Member

As BiancoTheGiraffe says, partly depends if you're a sole trader or limited company.

If you're a sole trader the tax test is "wholly and exclusively" for business - i.e. there's no personal benefit whatsoever. HMRC generally take quite a strict line on that and I reckon (though not certain) they'd object to a massage. AFAIK that would also block private health insurance...

If you're an employee/director of a limited company the test is looser, there needs to be a justifiable business reason and if there is then any personal benefit is incidental. It's fairly common (perhaps not as common as it should be) for companies to provide employees with occupational health for work-related injuries/fitness so potentially ok.

Worth discussing with your accountant, I'm not one - just had a lot of experience as a self-employed/ltd-co trader.

13. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I got invoice made out to company in then end so it's going through. Thanks for advice all seems legitimate

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Health shield allows massage therapy as part of it's package. Wife gets Indian head massage to help with Migraines

upload_2019-2-25_9-49-50.png