Help ! Split cables

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Emmajamie, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the reply:)

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As above you paying them to do the job correctly! They are not.personaly I would get rid because I’ve no doubt there are lots of other issues you haven’t seen. If they haven’t done it rite 1st time ,why would they the second time!

3. Emmajamie

Emmajamie New Member

Thanks guys that’s really helpful !!

4. nigel willson

No probs. Don’t forget to keep us updated as to what transpires.

5. Do not worry about complaining,you know where you want the switches and sockets therefore they should be put them where you ask,not where it suits them.

The work so far is not acceptable and should be done again,if the job was getting done to the standard it should then there would be no complaints.

6. Emmajamie

Emmajamie New Member

Nigel if we do get rid do we have to pay him for it ? Will someone else take on half a job ?

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

5 week wonder spark, one of NAPITs finest.

Emmajamie likes this.
  8. Emmajamie

Emmajamie New Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267 what’s your slant on getting someone else in etc ?

9. nigel willson

I would say no. Tell him you don’t have any faith in him or his work. Somebody else would want to start agin. Would unfortunately cost more money but that I’m afraid is the nature of the beast.good luck and keep us posted

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Your paying him to do the job properly, if he doesn't keep telling napit - it's up to them to make sure that anyone on their books is working to an acceptable standard. I wouldn't bother finding someone else, it will just cost you more. If he still doesn't do the job properly keep complaining to napit, end of the day it's their problem to sort out, not yours, even if they kick him out. That's the whole point to Part P registration. If it still doesn't work out complain to trading standards, get them to sort it out with napit. End of the day you don't have to put up with any of this.

11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Or could be time-served with many years experience but just useless.

Paco de Lucia likes this.
  12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Emma

The whole point of him being registered with one cof the Part P schemes is that they are supposed to guarantee the standard of his work.

Contact them and tell them you are not happy. Send them the photos and request they inspect his work.

Let us know their response.

Kind regards

13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Blimey.

Ok, the way the sparky has run the cables - through the joist centres - is correct. So not all bad.

That first photos shows a cable outer insulation that's been worn/rubbed/abraded/ground away. It is very localised, so I personally cannot see this having been done by the sparky pulling the cable through the hole - ie it surely ain't cable 'burn'. If it were cable 'burn' through being pulled through a hole too quickly, the resulting damage would surely have been along a longer part of the cable - the whole length that was pulled through too quickly?

It could even have been caused by the cable being in contact with a tool such as the drill.

And the others, as has been pointed out, look like sharp cut damage.

It's careless stuff to be sure to be sure, but surely not terminal. The inner insulation appears to be intact in all the cases shown, so it ain't dangerous. However, it should be securely bound up with good quality tape to keep it secure and safe from further damage (after double-checking that no inner insulation has been breached).

So, it's bludy careless, yes, but not the end of the world. They do need to up their game from now on, tho'.

As for them positioning sockets and switches where you did not expressly want them, that is bad and I would consider unacceptable (within limits, of course). Perhaps there were sound - technical - reasons? What did they say?

Personally, if I had stated where I wanted a switch/socket located and they failed to do this, I'd have insisted they redo it immediately (again, with provisos).

I think it's reasonable to insist they check and secure all damaged cable, and - it's up to you - relocate any switch/socket positions you are not happy with, but I don't think you are in the realms of chucking them off site and getting someone else. Least not unless they refuse to sort these issues.

That's my personal take on this specific job based on what's shown - and I am not a sparky...

14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The schemes only ensure that the company statisfy the criteria for entry, this does not gaurentee the standard of work by a particular electrician. However the ‘work’ is guaranteed and for what is actually covered you need to contact the scheme.

15. Bazza-spark

As an ex QS fr the NICEIC I disagree. Our work was inspected annually and I had to undergo interview with qualification checks to ensure both the company and I were working to standard. It wasn't just entry requirements.

Kind regards

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Cables have to be double insulated, unless inside a suitable enclosure. Doesn't matter what you think mate, it doesn't comply with 7671.

17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I accept that the process to become an NICEIC Approved Contractor is more rigorous but it is not the same for all CPS providers covering Part P self cert registration.

18. Bazza-spark

Agreed, but it does make a nonsense of it when the providers have different standards.

Kind regards

19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I could be wrong but I thought T&E (6242Y) was described as sheathed insulated cable rather than double insulated.

Risteard likes this.
  20. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or a good sparks, in demand, rushing!.
    Tbh there could be any reason, we're all just speculating.
    I've burnt cables, on occasion, I'm sure we've all done it :rolleyes:

Sparkielev likes this.