Mountfield MM2605 lack of power

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by johnmadbag, Jan 14, 2019.

1. johnmadbag

johnmadbag New Member

Perfectly happy with this until last week, when started losing power. Took it into to local garden machinery shop where they "tuned" it for £10, which took about 2 minutes.

It ran ok for an hour or so, then started losing power again.

So yesterday I washed the air filter, which had some oil in it. Today I checked the spark plug, which was a bit sooty, and gave it a clean. It managed to cut for about 30 minutes, but it is still running very roughly, and now when I try to increase to full throttle it speeds up but then starts to die, only recovering when I release the throttle. It doesn't have enough power to turn the chain on the pole-saw

If I remove the air filter it roars away with loads of power.

I am wondering if it is running rich, but I can't see any way of adjusting the mixture.

Any thoughts?

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Take it back to the garden machinery shop you had it at last week and tell them it hasn’t worked properly since.

masterdiy likes this.
  3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Choke stuck on

AstonishingWorld likes this.
  4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

take it to your local vicar.

5. DIY womble

We had a local vicar who used to roller skate around, tough life being a vicar, car , holidays, house , pension , surrounded by people who think the way to god is up your rrrrrrs, unbelievable the human race

rogerk101, KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  6. DIY womble

And the reason it carries on is the following.....
    Apologies to the believer's for my rant

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bless you my son, now would you like more tea and a scone!

8. DIY womble

I befriended an old chap abandoned by his family due to dementia , took him every week to his church and frequently harassed into tea and scones after I waited to collect him , unbelievable one up man ship , very sad waste of time , if their was a god surely he would rather people spent their spare time and money doing charitable causes like fixing this chaps lawnmower, or even better not fixing it so the lawn turns into a wildlife meadow

KIAB, Jord86 and Astramax like this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Back to the mower. I have a Mountfield, it is carp. It is 3 years old and every year I have to clean the carb, the main jet gets blocked. I use clean petrol and don't allow rubbish to enter the fuel tank. This year I fitted a fuel filter, let's see if that helps. For yours, take it back and ask for the carb to have the main jet cleaned, for free, it takes around 10 mins.