Which Cutter for Hinges Please?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Vin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Hi chaps

I have just watched a video on You Tube which shows how to hang a door.

I have hung a few doors in the past (for myself) and have always used a chisel to sink the hinges but the joiner in the video was using a 1/4 router to remove most of the material then just used a chisel to cut the finished lines around the hinge.

Looks like a great method so I am going to buy a 1/4 router from our hosts but my question is what type of router cutter do i need for this type of work?

Could one of you guys link me to one please?

Thanks!!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Vin likes this.
  3. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

You can get a Katsu trim router for a fraction of what you'd pay for a branded one and it's very similar to a Makita RT0700

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0728K6DV3/

It's also quite easy to make a hinge jig from a small piece of ply and use a guide bush with a normal cutter to cut around it.

AlvyChippy and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got the Katsu,it's a Makita clone,can't fault it, tend to use it mainly with a compact hinge jig or my long hinge jig from Routing Jigs.

If you want a guide bush so you can use the Porter Cable threaded bushes, it can be got from here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guide-bu...h=item4d890a933c:g:J5EAAOSwXYtYst-s:rk:1:pf:0

Ken can make the bushes for any router, superb quailty.

You can pick up the plunge base off Ebay cheaply.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SP101748...h=item5b4e4d36f0:g:r5cAAOSwMuZb0F4x:rk:2:pf:0

http://www.routingjigs.co.uk/product/compact-hinge-jig-polycarbonate/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Vin likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Thanks Guys, you’ve sold me it!

I haven’t hung a door in over ten years but I will have several to do in my own house over the next 12 months so feel it’s worth investing in one.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You don't need a guide bush to cut hinge pockets with a 1/4" router.

My method used over many years:-

draw round hinge on edge of door.
    align cutter with line and mark outer width of baseplate both sides.
    find scrap piece of ply/mdf and cut a squareish U shaped piece with a whatever saw is to hand (jig/band/multitool) so that the inside faces of the U match the width you have just marked of the base plate edges.
    align cutter with back of hinge pocket.
    lay U shape piece on door edge so that back of U touches router base.
    get a short batten (bit longer than jig to leave somewhere to clamp)- screw through U shaped piece into batten so batten sits on face of door.
    mark batten to actual hinge width so you can position it easily
    clamp new jig on door edge using batten wherever the hinge marks line up where needed
    move the router around inside the U
    tidy up the rounded corners
    job jobbied.

works for whatever hinges you have to hand.

It barely takes longer to knock up a quick jig as it does to write this.

I usually use a 5-6mm cutter

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Vin likes this.
  7. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Use a laminate trimmer freehand after marking hinge out on door and lining with a stanly knife, or if just a single door just use a sharp chisel

Vin and Jord86 like this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Same as me. Best finish, no farting about.

Vin likes this.
  9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep. Me too.

Sharp chisel.

I will use a cordless router on occasions.

But only freehand

But mainly its chisel, hammer and Stanley knife.

Vin likes this.
  10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Only thing I do different there is to run a steel screw the same size as the brass ones in first, take it out again then put the brass ones in.

Vin likes this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I screw hinges on with just 2 screws. Run stanley knife around. Use small £20 (bargain) router free hand and chisel out the rest. Same for door latch. For the catch plate area if 100 years old and a mess when replacing, tape up new shinny plate with masking and set in 2 pack wood filler. Just as it sets (5mins) pull off tape. Add more tape to plate. Sand and fill a little more Amazing how quick and good it looks as the plate area can be a real mess. I must load how to on YouTube on the next one but not hard

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Vin likes this.
  12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I don't get this freehand routering - to me that's always a risk. My little 1/4" bosch (which I've had for 30+ years) is small and easy to control but I still find it easier to spend 2-3 minutes knocking up a jig. Then, whipping the router around inside the "U" is foolproof - perfect cut, perfect edge in what - 15 seconds? Each to their own :)

Vin likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't freehand router with a normal 1/4" router, but a laminate trimmer that can be moved with one hand with full control is a different kettle of fish.

Vin likes this.
  14. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Thanks again for all the advice!
    I have ordered the Katsu trimmer/router already and can't wait to see it.

Mr Rusty, your method sounds great but I'm not sure I really understand what you mean, you should make a video!

It amazes me how many different methods there are and the idea of setting a catch plate in filler is totally new to me, again, you really should make a video!

Thanks again for all the great tips

15. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@Vin tape up just the front and push in the 2 pack filler. Dig out the centre with small chisel or something. Just as it sets peal off tape as you get clean lines around the edge however sanding means plate may scratch so more tape and run knife around the edges to cut tape back to correct size. I've repaired a real mess of chopped latch areas like this. Plate is stuck but I drill and put 2 screws though as it should be. Just taped this one as example. Also I tape up hinges ect when painting this way. Frog tape is perfect size and fast food straws cut down over hinge vertical to keep clean [​IMG]

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

I prob would just scarf a new bit of timber in instead of the filler, but I liked the MacDonald’s straw idea to protect hinges when painting

19. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

DufferDIY likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select