Fixing to dot&dab walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mrppp, Jan 18, 2019.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

If fixing to a dot & dab wall, am i just best using longer screws, then push rawl plug into blocks/bricks on other side?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Depends what you are fixing to be honest.

Always a bit hit and miss on D+D.

Depends on depth of void. Depends on whether you need to fix where there is a dob.

Generally if its a void and its a lightweight fix, then a spit spiral fixing will do.

If you hit a dob and its lightweight fix then a 6mm hole and a brown plug and say a 60mm screw will do.

If its a heavyweight fix then say a 100mm screw into bricks/blocks will be required.

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Well to hang a TV ( 26") and large mirror (heavey) and curtain poles. No guarantee a dot will end up where needed. ( hate dot and blinking dab). So am i best with 8mm rawl and 100mm screws?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

100mm screws, brown plugs, if you really really are struggling for a fix cut out a square of plasterboard neatly, PU glue and screw a square of ply or 4x1 in the hole, refit the plasterboard then screw into that.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

7. Dryline does not have the steel cylinder core that helps to transfer the weight to the masonry wall. Corefix seems better because of that. I plan to use them to mount 30kg radiators to the walls.

8. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

If I use 100mm screws, can you get rawl plugs that length? Thinking of these

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You haven’t got 100mm of screw going into plug though have you ;)

Take off the following;

Thickness of item being fixed

Approx 3mm plaster skim

12.5mm plaster board

D&D gap - could be anything really, 25-50mm

Approx 50mm (ish) going into wall and plug :)

Drill correct size hole depth and size through PB into wall

Push plug into PB, couple turns of the screw by hand then push plug through PB ans into hole in wall

Light tap with hammer to drive plug into wall using screw

Remove screw and fit item

10. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

But ideally i need the plug flush with plasterboard rather than fully pushing in to wall.

11. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I will just try with normal 8mm plugs, 100mm screws, if no good get some of the Corefix .

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why ?

Plastic plug filling gap between wall and PB doesn’t offer you anything

That’s what steel sleeve on Corefix offers, yes your paying for this but what price in piece of mind

If you overtighten screw into plug and you have a void behind PB, you run risk of PB deflecting and either PB and/or plaster cracking

Again Corefix stops this chance

Anyway, just an option :)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

100mm screws with brown plugs will be fine.

Angle the drill downhill slightly to create a hook effect.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can't have everything, no point having the plug flush with the plasterboard if it's just a void behind. Push a second plug in deeper if you're that worried, or drill a 10mm hole and hammer in a dowel with a bit of PU glue, loads of ways.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sometimes fixings can be overcomplicated.

I pretty much use 3 types.

Spit spirals for plasterboard

Suitable screw and brown plug for bricks/blocks etc

Multi montis for frames, casings and linings.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

We also don’t know what wall is built from so even with the best fixings, getting a good hold in lightweight blocks can be a pain

Often you’ve only got 1 shot at getting a good fix from each hole as can’t move item over if wall crumbles :eek:

17. Which is why I'm confused with Dryline Pro as it's just a long wallplug and long screw without the steel core.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's why I advocate PU glue, foam, ply etc.