Flooring

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Andy5253, May 13, 2018.

1. Andy5253

Andy5253 New Member

Hi

I am renovating a kitchen and looking into flooring at the moment. The question i have is with so many options what do i pick. Tiles, lvt, or vinyl or any suggestions welcome. The floor surface is tongue and groove boards at the moment.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Take a look at both Karndean and Amtico flooring

Basically plastic tiles or planks (but high tech of course), available in a huge range of colours, styles, sizes, and everything in-between

We've got Amtico throughout the downstairs of the house and was laid by an Amtico approved supplier. Ok, it isn't cheap but its bomb proof !
    Also comes with a 20 year wear guarantee when fitted by an approved supplier/fitter

Likely that your floorboards would be checked for any significant damage and loose boards secured
    5mm flooring ply fixed to boards
    Self levelling compound poured
    Then after a light sand and check over the levelling compound, any slight defects are filled with a feathering compound
    Finally flooring is glued down, edges, door frames, rad pipes, etc, all trimmed to size
    (This is how our floors were prepared)

7 years later still looks brilliant. Yes it can get the odd scratch, usual suspect is a piece of gravel stuck on your shoe
    Where this usually goes through the coloured layer of laminate flooring, the Amtico has a clear 'wear layer' which protects the colour, 'wood grain' effect underneath and is mega tough. So just the wear layer suffers a scratch which isn't that noticeable. Door mats at all external doors, felt pads under all furniture and a shoes off policy (perhaps)

Being plastic, no problems in bathrooms and kitchen. Sweep and mop to clean, wont stain, lovely

Or Quick-Step Livyn Vinyl (Hate it when companies spell words wrong to appear to be hip, trendy and 'street'. Just call your product Quick-Step Living. nobody will mind) :)

3. Andy5253

Andy5253 New Member

Thanks i will look into both didnt relise the amount of options

4. Andy, for very high quality vinyl planks at a seriously good price, consider Forbo Allura - this knocks Karndean in to next week. Costs less too.

https://www.remlandcarpets.co.uk/vinyl-floor-tiles/forbo-allura/allura-wood

Get a sample at least so's you can compare.

This will need preparation over your T&G boards, of course, but it is superb material. Sis-in-law had her whole downstairs done with a natural raw oak plank (tile, around 1.7mm thick, I think) and it looks stunning. When I was comparing it with a 'similar' plank from Karndean, I realised that the surface grain texture on the Allura actually matched the wood pattern below - that was a 'wow'. It is also pretty much indestructible, having been designed primarily for commercial locations such as shop floors.

It's fab.

5. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Defo vinyl planks are the best way forward

6. LEH

LEH Active Member

Are you planning to fit yourself or get someone in? I fitted Livyn in my bathroom, it's great and goes in just like laminate, so easier for a DIY install.

I have to do my kitchen at some point too - I was considering Quickstep Impressive, as it's only about £20 / sqm vs about £30 for the Livyn and I have quite a big area to do. It's laminate but 'waterproof' - I got a sample and basically the edges are treated with a hydrophobic coating so water just beads off them and doesn't wet the HDF core. Not sure what the more experienced folk here think of it for a kitchen. Quickstep guarantee it for kitchens and bathrooms provided the edges are sealed with their 'hydrokit' sealant. Obviously the vinyl is intrinsically better if you can afford though.

7. Richard39

Richard39 New Member

I'm looking for something to replace the old vinyl in our kitchen.
    It needs to be much firmer than vinyl.
    Appliances 'sink' into vinyl and are then very hard to shift, especially the washing machine which has torn the existing vinyl when it's been pushed back into place.
    I'm happy to use a good quality laminate, but my concern is that the boards would slide open (i.e., move into the expansion gap) when the washing machine is moved back.
    The Quickstep rigid vinyl looks good too, as long as rigid means no sinking of appliances?

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Luxury vinyl tile is nothing like the old shet vinyl rolls.

9. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I have fitted a fair amount on Quickstep Livyn and Impressive over the years. I sway towards vinyl if I can now as it's quicker and easier to cut imo. And also less nasty dust to inhale.
    I don't know if Quickstep Livyn has had a change in its formula but the more recent stuff has seemed to have a softer core, and has on 3 occasions become disengaged along the shorter (~190mm) joins. The long joints are fine but with this happening a few times now I am reluctant to use it again.
    Have also fitted Amtico and Karndean vinyl laminate and that has been pretty decent.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I found this happened once or twice but only when using the special red sunroom slightly sticky underlay.

With the standard white underlay I haven't had a problem.

barbaricduck likes this.
  11. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I can't recall what underlay I used to be honest.. one or two were likely on the foil backed thin stuff. The other may have been straight onto ply.
    It defo wasn't red though. Only red underlay I he used is the thin foam stuff full of holes.

I first noticed it being softer and the issue occurring around the time of the heat wave last July, so I put it down to that at the time.

12. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Can the quickstep Livyn be installed directly onto floorboards without underlay and does the surface have to be perfect?

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I only fit the click Livyn. As far as I know it needs to always on underlay. I certainly have never done it without.

As for subfloor. The better it is the better the result. I laid some recently over good nick flat t and g floorboards and it was fine. But if you subfloor dips and is uneven and has cupped boards etc you would be better to overboard with thin ply.

14. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

From your earlier post it seems you haven't had any issues when using the standard white underlay! The boards have been sanded and there are no holes etc but from what I gather the quickstep Livyn would be a little more forgiving than sheet vinyl anyway and would be less likely to show imperfections like sheet vinyl.
    Are your suppliers reasonably priced?

15. Gary Bosborn

Gary Bosborn New Member

Try to visit https://www.ecohardwood.co.uk/. They can offer a really nice oak flooring. We put it by ourselves a year ago and they still look amazing, even though we have 2 always exciting dogs wich really struggle to run on the floor :D