Decorative fireplace renovation-which trade?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by u0362565, Jan 22, 2019.

1. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Hi all,

Only just started thinking about this but our fireplace hole and flue has been covered by an mdf board at some point and the mantel and surround removed as I guess it wasn't cool at the time.

We don't want to reinstate a real fire or stove but would like to put a wooden mantel and legs, make the hole a little bigger, perhaps plasterboard the hole to create a recess to put something in and add a new raised hearth on top of the old which is still there.

Long and short of it is, who would do this kind of work? I wondered if fireplace fitters and installers might not be interested as it's not to put a fire/stove in? And if they would thought price could be elegated to make it worth their while.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Builder or carpenter probably be your best bet.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How come you dont want to put a burner in?

By the time you have essentially rebuilt the whole fireplace you may as well have done it all up to whats needed for a burner.

KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Agree , may as well build to regs for future use as wouldn't cost much more

KIAB likes this.
  5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've done up a few fireplaces and their surrounds ... all with some really tasteful kit which I've picked up off Freecycle or Freegle. It seems like every month or so someone or other in our area is getting rid of their fireplaces. Some are utter rubbish, but some are real gems.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just put a woodburner in at mine.

Really good to have.

Especially when you make as many mistakes as I do!

DIY womble likes this.
  7. DIY womble

Unfortunately my missus only likes " real " logs , got tonnes of stud offcuts but I spend days collecting dead from local area

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You must love her a lot. I love mine a lot too, but if she insisted on real logs in our woodburner, she's welcome to get them herself, cut them, stack them, etc.

KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  9. DIY womble

Love or fear

KIAB likes this.
  10. u0362565

u0362565 Member

It comes down to cost in the end. I had thought to make the fireplace a little bigger, fit a mantle and hearth would be far cheaper than lining the flue, buying a burner and having it installed. If i'm wrong please let me know but surely a burner and making the flue good is probably £5k in itself. Also we live in a flat-mind you an old one where a burner wouldn't look out of place but also not sure what our long term living plans are for this property, could sell in a few years once renovated or if possible rent it in which case would we want a wood burner in there for tenants..

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As a rough guide for you, 8kilowatt burner fitted 5 years ago in terraced house in South Wales, building work, flue, everything included, 2K all in.

12. DIY womble

At the other end , diy in mine was £200 ebay multi stove , £200 pipe and fittings , one very scared wife as I also rebuilt top of chimney without scaffolding , a friendly neighbour who moved his vehicle just in case, 2 days work and a few burns from lime.... We were quoted £2500 without the stack rebuild
    Are you sure you need to install a pipe anyway

Jord86, rogerk101 and goldenboy like this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

IMG-20190121-WA0000.jpg I just had mine done last week. Previously there was a LPG fire there.

Opened up fireplace. All the brickwork. Brick hearth. Lined flue, cowl and supply of burner. A little over £3k.

Good value I thought.

Jord86 and DIY womble like this.
  14. DIY womble

Looks great GB, personally I've gone for the brushed sooty look
    I should point out , my wife's main concern was mainly due to my reluctance to buy life insurance

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thanks for the approving nod!

Know what you mean.

I always think "lived in brick" looks better than dirty plasterboard!

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You will find your rug is essential to stop flying embers creating a pattern in your nice carpet :)

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That carpet is not long for the tip!

Initially I was going to have the brick hearth coming out 2 bricks but at the last minute I changed my mind as its a bit of a toe stubbing magnet! The kids run in and out of the door on the right.

Going to replace with Quickstep Livyn I think. But the rug will remain!

18. DIY womble

Bad point in regs for ours is the trip hazard of a raised hearth

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I got them to come out just half a brick and to sit the burner further back to keep the minimum distance needed.

Picked up a stove fan in Aldi on tuesday. Very good. Works off a heat powered motor!

20. u0362565

u0362565 Member

I guess we could get a quote for both and see if there's much difference. We're a couple of floors up so scaffolding would possibly be needed for any work on the chimney, thats quite expensive to hire. Surprised at how cheap you've managed to do it for though.