Cleaning tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know this will probably degenerate as quickly as the tool belt thread but going to give it a go....

I am going through a process of servicing and cleaning up my power tools as I use them.

Getting rid of all the accumulated dust, grim, paint splashes etc. A plastic razor blade works well to remove the dried on paint I have been using a combination of industrial hand wipes and the more abrasive ones (https://www.screwfix.com/p/big-wipes-industrial-cleaning-wipes-blue-100-pack/6488f). Which work well for removing the majority of the stuff. However, there is deep ingrained grime in some of the plastic that won't shift.

Anyone found anything good for cleaning power tools and the plastic cases ?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Do you have a French maid outfit?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Who!

Sos or me.:eek:

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Third post :rolleyes:

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Those wipes are a ridiculous price.

I use 'Huggies' baby wipes for lots of clean up things... like silicone and general grime. Work a treat and dead cheap in BnM.
    For grime use spray sugar soap.

RS

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My mate swears by "truck wash" whatever that is.

Not convinced he doesnt use it as shower gel as well.

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to get 25ltr Nerta Truck Wash cheap from a mate, to use with pressure washer, cheap way to buy cleaner.

9. robertpstubbs

I buy some consumables at B&M eg their gardening gloves which I use as work gloves. They are thin enough to give good feel and grip, and cheap enough to throw away when they wear out. And they come in nice colours like pink and violet.

longboat and retiredsparks like this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

After cleaning finish of with car vinyl restorer, brings plastic up as good as new! ;)

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Homebased red grippy gloves 6.49 per pair
    Biology same gloves but even better...1.29 to 1.50.
    Wonder why they are shutting local store in march.
    RS

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's probably some sort of TFR - Traffic Film Remover

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Try Brake Cleaner, its evaporates very quickly but does remove ground in grime.

I use this one.

s-l640.png

15. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

appears to be doing similar stuff like CF50, but at a bargain cost. Used it on the bike, not on the tools, but although it said to be possible to use it as a cleaner- I found simple organic degreaser to be better 1'st stage of cleaning, then protecting with CF50 having best results.

one thing I would stress to be weary of- to be careful with ANYTHING getting on to brushes, those get stuck-burn etc. When working at a workshop, not that I really did clean tools often, but loved having an air hose with thin trigger to blast out all the grime from motor protecting grills and have been rather shocked, how much of that grime has been in SDS drill, even a chop- (mitre)- saw.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

an interesting thought

17. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I use white spirit as most people generally have it as a house hold item. Keep a bag of cheap wet wipes under the sink (because they are stronger than kitchen tissue paper). Baby wipes or kitchen wipes will do. This removes grime from most things rubber/plastic screw driver handles or power tool casings etc. The black stuff will fly off. For paint maybe try a bit of wire wool or kitchen scourer.

These are general house cleaner items so you could try these before going out and spending time/money on expensive cleaners etc.

18. robertpstubbs

White spirit can damage some plastics. I would rinse it off after using it.

Alcohol (meths or surgical spirit) will clean some things.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Very good for cleaning inside gas powered nailguns too, Paslode cleaner costs a fortune by comparison and does the same job :confused:

Isitreally likes this.
  20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

baby wipes aren't any good, most of them contain oils and they are too mild. The industrial ones work quite well as they have solvents in them for oil, grease and a lot of the paints.