Decorative fireplace renovation-which trade?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by u0362565, Jan 22, 2019.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Where in the country are you?

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Access is the expensive part , can do from a ladder if on outside wall, I took a row of tiles off to get to mine , cherry picker hire?

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It does make a big difference

before
    upload_2019-1-24_9-35-26.png

after

upload_2019-1-24_9-31-44.png

The fire installation in this alone was £2,700 so Goldenboy did well to get the whole lot done for his price

goldenboy likes this.
  4. DIY womble

I thought regs said 150 mm distance from stove pipe to wooden lintle

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Really nice job.

6. u0362565

u0362565 Member

I'm in Edinburgh, definitely a scaffold or cherry picker job. I still think we can do something decorative for several thousand less than installing a stove so will probably start looking into it and see how the price mounts.

Thanks

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They do and it isn't - the gap is more than 300 and the lintel isn't a lintel, its a decorative piece hiding the concrete one :)

8. Looking at a picture you posted previously, the installation of the concrete lintel is very poor.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And why is that ?

10. DIY womble

Better than mine as I removed the wood and haven't put anything back, her indoors won't make her mind up if I'm repointing or lime plastering

11. Have a look at the right in the picture you posted on another thread.That would not be acceptable to me.
    The picture of it is not posted in this thread.

12. DIY womble

True , not home till tomorrow , live in van at jobs most of the time , will do a photo

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What possible use does criticising other peoples work on here offer.

Snarky critiques of contributors work are what prevents people putting pictures of their own work up on here.

If you haven't got something nice to say about it then don't say anything.

Criticising random work is different.

I have had sly comments before on work I have posted on here before essentially suggesting that it wasn't actually my work.

People should be able to contribute their work on here without either getting slagged off for it or getting accused of nicking others work.

The only time I know of anyone passing off others work was Hudson-gate!

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its ok, I know Deleted member 11267 is quite a sad individual.

He criticises Kiab a lot for looking up stuff on the internet for people - even though the posters people appreciate his help.

DIY womble and goldenboy like this.
  15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It just creates a bad feeling.

16. If they are told then they will learn and know how to get it done properly next time.
    It also gives people looking in a guide of what is done correctly and what is not.
    I would not be critical if there was no need to be.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There is no need to be.

Correct me if I wrong but this thread has no picture of the lintel you are criticising?

Therefore any casual observer of it wont be aware of this "offending" lintel.

Therefore there really isn't any need to offer a snarky critique.

One could draw the conclusion that your "advice" is only offered to either score points or just to be unpleasant.

Either way its not needed and does nothing but create a bad atmosphere.

DIY womble likes this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Of course you have never been wrong in any of your comment have you ?

You made a complete fool of yourself with a "lintel" thread a while ago. insisting it had to be a particular way until an SE told you were wrong

19. DIY womble

Deleted member 11267 , you have just lighten up a bit , your intentions may be well directed but get lost , no offence but also your previous kiab attack was really unjustified , your experience of things get lost and that's a shame , give us a joke now and then

20. If I am wrong I will be honest and admit that I am wrong.
    I cannot remember the lintel thread but I will try and find it.