Best skirting board adhesive?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ben100, Jul 6, 2018.

1. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

It's not just easier to put the boards on with foam, it's a god send if you ever need to get them off.

Had a landlord I do periodic work for phone a couple of months ago, needing access to a pipe that was behind a skirting board. I'd done the skirts in that house, and to get them off I told him to slide a breadknife or a thin steel rule down the back and slide it along. No broken plaster, no mess, and boards went back on as cleanly as they were fitted in the first place.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Great point. It works so well. If you want them to stay they stick like nothing on earth.

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

sounds all good news with foam and nice work ( as usual ) GB
    Got to skirt a room soon for the good .lady , In this situation I have a gap of 2-4 " bare brick, skirt is 8" pine ( prefer MDF )
    Would have no nails the top and board adhesive to brick with screws in the back of skirt , clearly future removal is awkward , but any other comments ?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Couple of beads of foam where it contacts plaster and go heavier at the bottom to go into the gap. Make sure you must it well with water just before you stick them in place.

Just done a whole house similar to what you describe.

Wayners and DIY womble like this.
  5. DIY womble

How does foam cope with new boards that cup with age

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If I am fitting solid skirtings I generally tend to groove them on the back to minimise cupping.

Lots of skirting comes ready grooved now anyway.

CGN and DIY womble like this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Learn something every day thanks. Good info.

goldenboy and DIY womble like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good point and now answered. On auto pilot here, not long got in from work...

DIY womble likes this.
  9. DIY womble

Top tip cheers

10. Terry Kay

Terry Kay New Member

How many linear meters approx will 1 no. can cover using this as suggested with 2 no. 25mm beads? i have approx 86lm skirting and 65lm architrave to do this week and i'm going to try this application. Skirting is 150mm high and Arch is 75mm wide.

Also what is the best value foam to use.

And i'm likely not to need to use the gun after this so a suggestion for a reasonably priced gun would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Best not to post on multiple pages.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Because it clogs up the forum with the same question from the same person.

As for the amount needed.

Just buy a couple of cans.

You cant really use it to solely fix architraves as you will need to nail it too.

13. Charles Norbury

Charles Norbury New Member

goldenboy that paneling looks great, lovely job.

Never used foam for skirting, but it seems so obvious now! Why wouldn't i use foam?
    I also use an 18 gauge brad gun to hold things in place while the adhesive (or foam!) goes off.

Just FYI, i bought a couple of foam guns on ebay from china, £6 each, which at the rate i get through them is about the right price. Also from ebay i got 12 cans of Everbuild foam for £40, which makes it a sensible price and means you can make a couple of quid on each can while still giving your client a cheaper price than they could get elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    goldenboy likes this.
  14. Toast

Toast New Member

What foam do people use for this?

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Any.

Got to be used in a gun really rather than the all in one cans.

16. Toast

Toast New Member

I got myself the gun already, but wasn't sure whether there were different grades of foam adhesion and therefore a specific one to aim for. I have a couple of cans of Dow Insta Stik MP foam so hope that works well.

Ta

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It will - top stuff. Don't overdo it, and beware although it is low expansion compared to say air-gap fill foam, it DOES still expand - keep the boards pushed in tight for a while until it goes off.

18. Toast

Toast New Member

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice.

19. sfmanus

sfmanus Member

Bit late to the party, but superb info in this thread!

@goldenboy, just a few 25mm beads and not along the entire length?

Thanks!

20. sfmanus

sfmanus Member

Ignore that. Just re-read what you said about application.