Historic cottages - designer extensions

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

sant-francesc.jpg
    modern-ruins-studio-1-468x312.jpg
    ballymahon-1-468x311.jpg
    hudson-farmhouse-addition-468x269.jpg

Pug ugly.

Where as if done nicely can look ok.

dublin-stone-3-468x379.jpg

dublin-stone-1-468x310.jpg

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This one from the Georg Clarke amazing spaces TV show which is a stair case to the upper floors. The planers actually rejected a stone build one because it blended in too well then a glass box because it was too modern but the planners liked this :

upload_2019-1-29_16-21-43.png

3. And they tried to say the shed on your earlier link looked out of place.

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Clearly some planner took to much LSD in the 60s. :p:p

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Had this issue with the Shropshire planners when I was building my house. It is a rebuild of a 16th century stone and half timber cottage with an extra wing as big as the original. They wanted the new wing in wood, as you would see with a barn, and the link between the two should be a glass tunnel, 'To allow you to read the building'. (BS). Eventually built the extra wing in brick and the glass tunnel became brick and half timber.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  6. The glass tunnels/links that they try to insist on really spoil and marr the look of the nice old buildings.

7. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I know someone who had a lovely old house and she wanted to extend it in keeping, however the planners said the extension had to be glass and aluminium to differentiate. They are as daft as the folks who think modern art is the bees knees

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  8. Kyuss

Kyuss New Member

I can understand how you feel, maybe I'm being way too romantic but I feel the same about interior design. It was very sad to see villas in Côte d'Azur like this during my last trip there. I mean look at this gigantic mirror.

[​IMG]

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That is like strapping a tupperware box to a Faberge Egg

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Why can’t we see your reflection?

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select