Large angle grinders

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by teabreak, Jan 31, 2019.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi I am looking for a large grinder to cut concrete paving slabs, only diy I have a path and greenhouse base to lay at home. My 4.5 grinder will do it with a diamond wheel but needs to be cut from both sides. I want one that will cut through in one, any recommendations please?

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I have a Bosch blue 9" and it's excellent. 100% recommend.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I don't use them enough to warrant buying a top brand model so I bought a Wolf machine (which came with a diamond blade). It has a rotating rear handle and has been excellent in use. I think it was £55 about 5 years ago. There's no case but I keep it in an old toolbag.
    Edit: I've actually used it far more than anticipated - hasn't missed a beat.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Having used a few over the years, i can't fault Hitachi 9" grinders, i have used Bosch (OK). Dewalt (total rubbish).

6. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Ebay for me

7. DIY womble

Paid £45 for 1600W China cheap plaster mixer , 3 yr ago , on my 3rd set of brushes , noisy but has done all I've asked , less of a worry about theft , just like push bikes
    Upgrade your specialized , Marin, trek etc
    Get rid of the name

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would go for a bosch blue if it was for heavy use, however I was thinking about a basic wickes or screwfix one as it is really a one off job. Anyone tried either? Certainly want a soft start with the larger disc;).
    Slight hiccup with starting though, moved 49 slabs through to the back today last one on the pallet was broken, bent down to pick it up and my back gave out not even a full slab!o_O:(

9. DIY womble

Bit silly that , why didn't you get the wife to move them

gadget man, KIAB and teabreak like this.
  10. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

I bought the erbauer one. I don't usually go for them but as with you I wanted this to remove a couple of walls in my house where grinding from both sides would make too much of a mess of it!

It is soft start and has a rotating handle. No problems with it at all, although as I've said I've not used it much! Hope this helps!

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With all due respect to above posters, recommending several top end grinders for what you've made clear is gonna be a one off job with perhaps occasional use is nuts :eek:

I'm only surprised nobody has suggested you go Festool for this job (don't actually know if they make a 9" grinder but if they do, agreed it will be bluddy good and several hundred pounds - makes perfect sense) :D

Anyway, go for SF own brand, the mighty Titan;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...0v/40362#product_additional_details_container

Its rather heavy, built like a tank, comes with a decent case, long lead, and a 2 year guarantee, soft start, multi position side handle (but a s hit blade)

Spend a few more quid on a segmented diamond blade and corny yes but 'hot knife through butter' will flash through your mind

Yes but peeps are gonna say - there's no after sales service, no spares available, no fancy brand name to show off and brag about, no free t shirt, etc

Again, 2 year warrenty, generic brushes are available if need replacing some years down the line and apart from that, it will do the job fantastically

buy the Titan, you wont be disappointed :D

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Hitachi was new & boxed & came from Freecycle.:eek:

teabreak and DIY womble like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good blades, as are the Nortons.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire a grinder for the weekend or week, hire use to be around £15 for a week.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

17. DIY womble

Even i cant do a £15 a week holiday

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks guys, Guess I had better take the wife with me to buy the grinder to check she can handle it!:p:p:p

19. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

High end, expensive. ???

https://www.toolden.co.uk/power-too...-cwwuB-RDJICojBxfzCkG1rlh1TFf3eQaAvg8EALw_wcB

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

teabreak likes this.