Large angle grinders

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by teabreak, Jan 31, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't use an angle grinder often and after my Makita 4 1/2" grinder burnt out I bought a Mac something or other from B&Q for 17 quid and it does what I want it to do.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

i don't think so

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Strangely not much difference between the 18v and Flexvolt.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep.

There is no difference between the Flexvolt vac and the XR one either apparently.

Have you got much of the Flexvolt kit?

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Just been looking at the Dewalt cordless grinders online.
    They look the business! Nice design.
    Surprisingly inexpensive. I see the brushless can be bought for under £140.
    Because angle grinders use so much power, I like brushless so that the battery life will be maximum

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite a bit, I picked up the leaf blower last week at a crazy price from Howe Tools £179 and got a free large capacity T-stak case.

I am slowly swapping out my 18v for Flexvolt. So things like the 18v strimmer will be on eBay because I have the Flexvolt version. Similarly I will be selling my Festool 18v tools as they aren't as practical as the DeWalt. Hence why I have been cleaning a lot of them up recently

Disappointed with the performance of the Grinder. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the 18v on a 5 amp and the Flexvolt on a 6 amp battery. I thought there would be a difference in power or run time but they are the same. Same with the circular saw, I haven't noticed any difference between the two - apart from the blade has switched sides

I keep on looking at my Axminster table saw and think do I need this lump in my workshop ? Should I swap it for something more portable ?

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I loaned one to my daughter and her boyfriend to rake out the joints in the stonework of her cottage. The thing was running for hours on end with a mortar rake with no problem at all even though grinders aren't designed for prolonged use.

Heat likes this.
  8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Good value range.

Heat likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got rid of my hefty table saw, took up too much space,just used a small table saw on a fold up stand now, or my track saw.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Flexvolt table saw is absolutely superb.

KIAB likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The only thing I use it for now is cutting narrow stock. As you say most bigger cuts I do with a track saw. The only advantage was the fence to do repeat cuts but Festool do a guide system to get around this.

It isn't just the saw it is having to run the bigger extractor with it, so i could get space back from two items

KIAB likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know its calling out to me as well as a big band saw.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I had the 745 saw and sold it to get the Flexvolt.

I paid I think £599 at a Toolfair. With 3x6ah batteries and a free brushless combi and tstak.

Oh an a neat little Dewalt bag that has my compact George Foreman and lunch kit in now!

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I use the XR vac with the Flexvolt saw. Works really well.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have one of the TS it is like the TS250 they have now but with a deeper depth of cut, stand, side extension and sliding table about a £1k in total. The problem is the 4 inch extractor and also the smaller one for the blade guard. The motor was replaced before Christmas under warranty and had to dismantle and repackage it. If I recall its about 80 kg

So I am thinking of moving it on and getting something smaller.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats the trouble isn't it right place, right time, enough cash in your pocket. The three batteries alone were £300, the combi and the tstak probably worth another £100 - not that you probably needed them. So for the balance you got a good saw and a bargain as well

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It went on the drastic plastic!

I saw it and knew it was a good price.

I had a mate who really wanted the 745 off me.

I kept the rolling stand as with a bit of mackling you can fit the Flexvolt onto it.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

worked well around then

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yes, my mate got the saw for a good price and will last him for life.

And the Flexvolt saw really earns its money.

30 seconds from park up to sawing!

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's what you want from tools. This is what prompted me to buy the flexvolt leaf blower, no mixing of fuel, no priming, no pull starts, no fumes just turn on and off. Great for pushing saw dust and shavings about as well