Decorating in stairwell - safety

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Muzungu, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Got some decorating to do in the stairwell. Highest point from upstairs ceiling to floor is 5.3 metres obviously decreasing as the stairs reach the first floor. I can get to most of it but there is going to be a section of about 2 metres on the ceiling where I will need some sort of step up. If I was just painting everything the same colour, walls and ceiling, I would just use a pole, however...

I need to strip 85mm of the lining paper around the ceiling, glue on coving, fill, and then paint. Followed up by cutting in on the ceiling and walls, the walls being a different colour so I will need to be up there quite a bit. I am not that happy on doing this with a ladder, the highest point is quite a drop. Can only think of hiring a stair scaffold. Any tips would be great. I am unfortunately not one of those lucky people who can shin up a ladder to any height without giving it a second thought.

Thanks.

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I've just designed a selection of inflatable platform's , would you like to be my first customer

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Sounds just the ticket, do they come in different colours? The aesthetics are important to me.

DIY womble likes this.
  4. DIY womble

When plastering I put up two ladders, 4x2 screwed to top floor and resting on each of the near vertical ladders , then planks across 4x2 joists , nearest to ladders is screwed , socks or jumper protect end of ladder from marking walls , pack ladder height to 4x2 with screwed wood offcuts ,

Now about my mates very quiet bouncy castle business

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for that DIY, still thinking of going for the hire of a stair scaffold as I am a wimp at height.

The bouncy castle is an idea but not sure whether my cutting in might be a bit wavy?

DIY womble likes this.
  6. DIY womble

Once you have found a scaffold that fits, let me know , every tower provided to me has been a complete pain , expensive to provider ( time and money ) under usually fairly unadjustable in platform height also impractical to get up and down the stairs
    Hence diy

Muzungu likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stairwell here,I just used bandstand at bottom of stairwell at full height (7') & scaffold boards (clamp to bandstand) laid a across to tread on staircase,was then easy to use steps to work off for painting.
    Also got combination ladder which adapts for working on stairs,not for the faint hearted.:D

Muzungu likes this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Muzungu likes this.
  10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Unfortunately I am faint hearted! Got a combination with stabilisers and was thinking of your possibility as well with a couple of boards but, as I say, I am a wimp.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

12. DIY womble

You both lost me at £75:)

WillyEckerslike and Muzungu like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Youngman BOSS Stairmax is 700mm wide & there maybe a 600mm wide version as well.

Muzungu likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ladders and scaffold boards here tied to bannister and handrails with sash cord.

Muzungu likes this.
  15. Victor Ace

Victor Ace New Member

Working on stairs is Always tricky. I found some adjustable ladder which can be used to paint and decorate staircases.