makita cordless sds

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by colinthehamster, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Hey all
    Just looking at buying a cordless sds. I have a few of the makita lxt tools and batteries so wanting to stick with the lxt range so I can buy bare.
    Does anyone have any experience/opinions on which model to go for and what battery life is like?
    I have a corded 6+kg sds that I can use for really heavy work but wanting something that allows me a bit more flexibility and saves the arms on smaller jobs but still would like something capable of doing the job not weak as a kitten!
    Cheers!

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have the Dewalt 3 function 18v and its fine for light breaking and normal drilling.

Would have thought the Makita will be similar.

colinthehamster likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Borrowed a MAKITA DHR242Z 18v sds brushless rotary drill, very nice tool, can be found for around £130.

Other day I was mooching around several tool shops,a bad habit, had a look at Makita 36v range,the MAKITA DHR263ZJ at about £200, was pretty good value & tempting, shame I have Bosch kit.
    But, I would go for the brushless
    Makita DHR242Z,which can be bought bare for around £165.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    colinthehamster likes this.
  4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I used to carry a couple of SDSs. A corded one for breaking and a cordless for drilling. As I was worried about knackering the cordless.

Now the cordless bare ones are the same cost as the corded pro ones its no issue.

KIAB and colinthehamster like this.
  5. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

Depends on what you want to use it for - Drill or Drill+Chisel ? And also the size of holes you want to make.

Makita have a lightweight Brushless SDS model that is drill only and is good for 17mm holes in concrete - DHR171

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The best of the best.

9407279038494.jpg

Need deep pockets though.

Heat likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

I could never see any justification in owning hilti tools.
    For example Makita sell a quality recip saw for about £200 quid.
    Hilti are £800 quid.
    So if I buy four makita machines it renders hilti's warranty absolutely worthless.

Heat likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I did say best of the best and deep pockets..:D:D

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As near as damn it the same spec at half the price. Had mine for over 2 years now and it's chiseled up every tiled floor we have removed with ease.

[​IMG]

chippie244 likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Makita have given a lot of thought to their 18v & 36v range of tools, Bosch & others are getting left behind in the cordless race.

Looking for a new track saw & the Makita DSP600ZJ Twin 18v LXT Cordless Plunge Saw is very tempting.
    The 36v tool range are so good, it will make 240v tools redundant.

Real shame Bosch haven't got something like this,as most of my kit is Bosch.:(

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...lunge-saw-165mm-body-only-in-makpac-case#gref

14. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    I went with the makita dhr242z as I already have the lxt batteries and loads of the other tools so makes sense just to be able to switch out the batteries. Picked it up for 178 quid at my fave local tool place - could've got it a little cheaper online but i do like to support the local shop!
    Must say I'm very impressed thus far, mainly been doing some render removal this afternoon up under the eaves of the house which was basically impossible to get to with the big corded beast. It's very light, hardly any vibration and seems to be on par power wise with the mains sds

Happy camper so far :D

kitfit1 and KIAB like this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Although on paper that saw looks good and is a good price, the dust extraction is just laughable KIAB. I don't own one, mine's a 110v Festool. But the guys who templated for the granite on last weeks fit did have one. They didn't have it hooked up to an extractor and the mdf dust was everywhere. Even when i hooked up my Festool extractor for them, the difference was next to zero. If you buy that saw my advice would be don't use it inside, especially if your sawing mdf.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a 20 year old Bosch sds plus breaker,well used, but it's heavy & cumbersome to use,I also like the light weight of Makita dhr242z,impressive performance for 18v, after borrowing one, I'm so tempted to splash the cash.

Nice to see you supporting your local tool shop.:)

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might go & hunt one down to try, may have to rethink my plans,but I do have a good Makita extractor.

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It's actually got nothing to do what extractor you have on it. The "open" design of it just throws dust everywhere rather than towards the extraction port. It's one of those things that most tracksaws share in common, other than Festool. Defo try one though and see what you think, would love to know if you come to the same conclusion.

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I believe that was the first cordless hammer to be made.
    I have the similar non chisel version of that. Battery alone is probably about £200. :eek:

Hilti are not as expensive as they might seem though. If you speak to your local Hilti shop for prices and deals.
    I have the Hilti 22volt impact driver and a 22volt sds drill and they cost similar to other brands.

20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Not a bad price at all, even if you could have got a few £'s off of that online. It was defo cheaper than our hosts are selling it at. I wish we still had a local independent store near us, but they shut up shop a couple of years ago. I have no choice now but to shop online, because the likes of our hosts have put all the local tool shops out of business.

malkie129 likes this.