Building a climbing wall at home on our exterior wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JimmyEatWorld, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JimmyEatWorld

JimmyEatWorld New Member

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my own climbing wall in the alley way between my house. It will be a 4.4m x 3.5m flat wall. That will ultimately be a circular circuit. With a campus board at the end. I'm building one because the bouldering wall is nearly an hour away and sometimes I can't get there so this wall is intended to train strength, endurance and technique on my busy days.

I need advice on the following:

I'm building a frame that will be attached to a brick wall. The frame will be 4.4m long and 3.5m high. So I'm opting for 2x6 timber. When I've built the frame what screws do I use to attach it to the brick wall? Because the frame is built like a stud wall the timber will be on its slim end so I have to get through 5 1/2" of wood before I'm into the brick.

Also the alleyway has slabs, with a gap either side of about 2" where there is mud and stones for drainage. I've built a roof and waterproofed it to protect the wall. But how would I attach the frame to the floor?

I'd post images if I could but this forum doesn't seem to let us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Why 2x6? Presumably these are running up the wall like studs, and all they have to hold up is some ply sheathing (guess?) and you hanging off it. So they’re in compression along their length, not loaded like a floor joists? I’d be using 3x2, fixed to the wall with resin fixings, providing a surface to screw some thick ply to.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

First off, superb username, I'm going to see them in a month or so. Second, you need to rethink your frame design, as far as I know there aren't readily available fixings to go through nearly 6" of timber plus another three inches into brick, not without some major hassle, including trying to drill it accurately.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can add photo, but file need to be under a certian size, 2mb I think.

Could use Tiny Pic instead.:)

http://tinypic.com/

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3x2 or maybe 4x2 frame,some thick 18mm ply, can get Climbing Holds in various sizes to screw to ply.

Could always fix Climbing Holds direct to wall instead of frame.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    DIY womble likes this.
  6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you really want the 2x6 frame then you could use steel angle brackets. You can then use proper bolts without the heads being in the way of the ply

KIAB likes this.
  7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would suggest 24mm ply if you are planning on fixing the holds via T nuts, also make sure you get the screw on T nuts, not the hammer in ones.
    We test climbing volumes, our walls are fixed onto 4*4 but that is because we need to hang fairly significant loads from them.
    I would think 2*4 would be more than enough

KIAB likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select