new shower fitted, not hot enough

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Radders, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Radders

Radders Member

Hi all, I recently fit a new mixer shower, its not quite hot enough, all other taps are red hot. having stripped and checked the unit I'm confident all is as it should be, I checked with the supplier there isn't a scald setting in which to alter. As I feel ( no gauges) the house cold feed is very high pressure they suggested I fit a flow reducing disc in the cold side. The only concern I have is I had a plumber replace a leaking pressure regulator ( un-vented ) some time ago and am unsure if he set it up correctly. Could the hot water pressure be too low?( However the old shower mixer worked just fine) As you can tell I appear to be going in circles

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

If you have an unvented cylinder supplying your hot water then both your hot and cold supplies should be at similar pressure. Could you check that at the basin and confirm that’s the case.

Are you sure that your installer hasn’t fitted a blending valve as part of the new shower installation? That would mean that your hot supply is in effect a mix of hot and cold, set to a maximum temperature.

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

With the shower disconnected or the cold isolated at the shower does the hot water temperature increase.
    How does the hot water flow seem?

4. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Doesn’t the temp valve on a mixer have to go on at a certain point, so you can increase the heat, I seem to recall it has a marker on the valve neck before you put the knob back on, think that makes sense

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Yes - the instructions will usually say how to calibrate the temperature if necessary. If it's a bar mixer usually by pulling off the knob, turning it a few degrees clockwise then refitting it.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Don't open jmpgrove link its probably malware or spam

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You have a duty to do the decent thing........press report......you know it makes sense!

screwfix.peter likes this.
  8. Radders

Radders Member

The guy just replaced the pressure flow regulator last year but did it without gauges so not sure if set at 3bar, wouldnt in be mire than out pressure with this fit. I installed the replacement shower

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  9. Radders

Radders Member

No temperature adjustment on this model, checked with tech dept.

10. Radders

Radders Member

Not actually disconnect but cranked back stop cock which improves temperature but then too low for rest of house.

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If you isolate the cold at the shower then run the hot only how does the temperature feel?
    If the temp is low then it’s not the shower as no cold is entering the shower.
    If the water is now hotter it’s a shower issue as it’s clearly getting mixed with cold.

Has the shower been fitted the correct way around?
    And you definitely have an unvented cylinder?

12. Radders

Radders Member

Shall blank off cold side tomorrow.

Unvented = no cold water tank- that right?

13. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Yes

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Just making sure you had a cylinder rather than a combi.

15. Radders

Radders Member

Cheers, shall try you suggestion tomorrow

16. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Which shower mixer do you have,they vary immensely.

Can a product link/photo ne posted ;)

17. Radders

Radders Member

One without internal temperature adjustment button

20190208_111634.jpg

18. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

That valve should have a means of calibration to either increase or decrease shower water temperature. They can have various methods to calibrate some use an allen key,some screwdriver,some have adjustable splined segments or adjustable stops. Remove the control lever to reveal the adjusting mechanism.

You will need a reliable thermometer to check (before & after) the delivered shower water temperature,should be some info in the commissioning instructions. Its safety related.

Somrtimes there are youtube videos,for sequential shower temperature adjustment.

Assuming of course the shower mixer is correctly plumbed in and has no additional thermostatic mixing valve before the shower valve. Happy fiddling ;)

19. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

If you look at chapter 12 of the fitting instructions you will see that:
    1. It is possible to alter the temperature settings.
    2. BUT they state it should only be done by "a competent TMV engineer".
    3. So you can have a go, but it will be at your own risk vis-a-vis the warranty.

20. Radders

Radders Member

Well I'll have another look over the weekend ( the flow limiting disc didn't arrive this morning). The fitting instructions cover several models, mine doesn't have this facility ( checked with thier tech dept hence the flow limiter proposal.) Shall updatein a day or so. Really appreciate all your help by the way.