Hot water, sediment build up.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mark Brister, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

Hi guys.
    I’ve been having trouble with my showers for about a year.
    After replacing cartridges several times, and upgrading one of the new showers I had installed to a better quality one (thinking it was cheap rubbish), I have finally realised that I have a lot of what looks like lime scale or sediment in my hot water system.
    It’s great that I’ve realised the showers are all fine and that I’ve found the route of the problem but I’m not sure why all of a sudden I’m getting this problem. It’s only the hot water, cold is fine. I have a Worcester combo boiler, and a mega flow type hot water storage cylinder. We live in a 3 storey house and the pressure is pretty good.
    At the moment I am having to remove the filter from the hot water inlet to my main shower every 3-4 weeks due to the build up of sediment.
    The pressure in the shower gets so bad there is hardly any hot water coming through.
    Any ideas why all of a sudden I am getting this issue and what can be done to rectify it.
    I have 3 showers in the house and 1 needs cleaning more often than the other 2, but they are not all the same showers.

Thanks

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

What supplies your hot water ? unvented cylinder ?

3. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

Yes, unvented cylinder. Don’t think the system is that old. Moved in to property 5 years ago and it was a pretty new system then.

4. The Teach

Whats the model of the cylinder ? edit

5. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

Range. Tribune HE

6. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

Hi Teach

Started having a conversation with you regarding this post on the 10th Feb. Just wondered if you could help at all, rather desperate for a bit of expert advice.
    Thanks

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

8. The Teach

To check the cylinder internals,drain down the cylinder.Take the immersion heater out and check for loose excessive scale build up. When the immersion is out have a look inside with a torch & inspection mirror checking any scale build up on the coil,cylinder internal walls and base.
    Any loose scale on the immersion heater can be cleaned off (or fit a new immersion heater) any loose/flaky scale resting in the bottom of the cylinder can be vacuumed out :p.

If no scale in the cylinder,any attachments-filters,scale reduction fittings etc fitted after the inlet control group could be breaking down internally and depositing their contents in the cylinder.
    Nothing wrong with checking the filter in the inlet controls group,it wont solve the sediment fault but just gives an idea of the water quality ;).

Any work on an unvented cylinder needs to be done by a person on a competent persons scheme but its your choice :)

9. Mark Brister

Mark Brister Member

Thanks Mike83.
    Thanks Teach.

Not planning to do any work myself as I am aware of the qualification needed to work in these systems but it is a battle trying to get someone to carry out the work. Most plumbers you talk to say things that I know is not right. I have a limescale reducer on my incoming cold water feed and one plumber said that this needs replacing. It may need replacing but surely that won’t solve the issue as the limescale build up is only on the hot water system.
    Thanks for the advice, I will endeavour to find a decent plumber with the correct qualification.