Phone line rewire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Max Baumber, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Hi All

I have a socket for a phone line in my spare room - we never use it so just ripped it out and put a blanking plate in. I then realised the broadband didn't work so re-wired it successfully. I have now bought a metal socket but this time it doesn't have the numbers on.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to re-wire?

Pics attached - wired on is the plastic and black one is the one I need to fit.

Thanks in advance!!

M

Attached Files:

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Had the same issue when I changed all my sockets. They should match but I just checked with a DVM for continuity between the relevant contacts in the socket and the wires so they matched on the new socket.

3. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Take it that they are the same and do a like for like with the screw terminals. Hang on, who wired the MK socket using them terminals?

4. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Sorry I don't get the abreviations. Super novice.

What is DVM? and what is MK?

The socket was wired like this when I moved in, I checked another which is in our bedroom and matched to it...

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And the white plastic one actually works? I don't think so.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

DVM, digital voltmeter. Worth buying cheap one with a buzzer for continuity testing, useful for all sorts of things.

Max Baumber likes this.
  7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

MK means mk electric maker of the phone socket

8. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Well the broadband wasn't working then I connected everything back together and now it works fine...?

Doesn't look like there's a surefire answer here... Shall I just chance it and try to match it to what's there already? Suppose I can just put them back if it messes things up?

Thanks for your help so far.

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

If it works on the old one just go for it. You have a clear photo of the old one so if you get problems just go back to what it was.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you match the wiring on the white socket on the new one, then the new one will not work. You have wired it incorrectly.

When you say the broadband is working, I’ll bet the broadband isn’t connected to the old white socket.

What happens if you plug a phone or something into the old white socket?

11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The broadband is working because he has joined the two wires together colour for colour in the socket terminals, however its not the right terminals for that particular socket to work, strange that its the green pair and not the orange one for the ringer trigger also.

No matter how it was wired beforehand I'll bet my house that if you plug a phone or the broadband into that particular socket naff all will work.

More to the point though, why are there no numbers on the new socket, if I was to guess I would say the blue white/blue pair go in the two middle terminals of the six, doesn't really matter about the other colours, probably.

12. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Basically used it as a junction box, just won't as said work as a single socket.

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I know exactly what he has done, its just that he doesn't!

The OP is installing a new socket. I guess he might kind of like it to work..

14. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

AHHH I see!

So.. I don't care about this socket working. Everything in my apartment is done through WIFI anyway and the router is in the living room. I will never plug anything into it.

So am right in thinking that it doesn't really matter which way it's wired up so long as all the wires are in contact with the socket?

15. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Pretty much, could just twist them together...

16. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Perfect. I didn't realise. I guess they must just complete the circuit.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. If you break the connection, all the sockets up to this one will work, and the rest won’t work.
    As above, you could just twist the wires together to make the connection, insulate the bare wires and put a blank cover over the box.
    If you are fitting the new socket you really should connect it so it works, or the next person will be very confused .

18. Max Baumber

Max Baumber Member

Sorted and working. Thanks all.