Failed concrete gutters, cavity filled with insulation damp bridging

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mrgreen1234, Feb 9, 2019.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There is a world of difference between buying a house with a bit of unidentifiable damp as a bit of a risk and buying a house with a known and serious problem.

Mrgreen1234 and KIAB like this.
  2. Mrgreen1234

Mrgreen1234 New Member

Apologies if by repeating someones comment it came across as flippant. Up until then many of the replies were sweeping statements of money pit and a skip & scaffold estimate which I simply quoted.
    Cause, effect, solution and cost was then gratefully received.
    Again I'm very grateful for the time and knowlodge I've received. Anyway....

I'll run through our situation; my partner and I are in our mid 30's and don't have children. We live in a city in the south west where house prices are high where (genuinely) well built properties don't often come onto the market. So far when they have they haven't been to our taste and have been over priced. There are many victorian terraced houses in our city but they come with their problems and we aren't keen. The other option to buy a new build box is totally out of the question.

My partner has recently sold her property which we lived in together. We are moving to my mothers property where she has enough room to comfortably accommodate us for as long as we want. Being chain free certainly helped with the sale of my partners house. So now we can sit chain free with cash waiting for property to come onto the market........however in the meantime IF (HUGE IF) we can purchase this property and get the works done (including any risk) within the ceiling price of the street this house is still an option.

I'll run through some of the plusses to this property:
    Renown locally for build quality (seriously)
    Very sought after suburb of our city
    Quiet street
    Well positioned 1st 2 storey house on the street, bungalows before and bungalows behind (not overlooked)
    Good schools nearby
    Reduced stamp duty (below our budget)
    Reduced mortgage (well below our budget)
    Close to our families
    Good commuter links
    South facing flat level substantial garden
    Empty blank canvas
    Garage (with a pit)
    Driveway
    Potential to change front garden for parking for 2 more cars
    Plenty of on street parking
    Potential to knock through kitchen diner
    Potential to extend
    Well proportioned rooms
    Chain free
    Attractive looking property
    We can continue to live at mothers whilst major works go on
    Kitchen and bathroom fully working and pleasant enough
    Most suitable we've seen for a year

Yes, granted I am probably wasting my time. But the way the market is at the moment I'd like to exhaust every avenue.

That said we're now 90% walk. Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You say you have a £40k budget. Work out realistically how much it will cost to sort out the finlock problem, and then look hard-nosed at everything else you want to do. I suspect £40k is light, especially if you are paying trades. The problem is that it costs exactly the same to rip out and replace a totally decrepit whatever as it does to replace something that is just serviceable, but old.

KIAB and Mrgreen1234 like this.
  4. Mrgreen1234

Mrgreen1234 New Member

Thanks Mr rusty.

Sitting it out at Mothers is our best option. It's only February so more houses will come on as the year progresses. And maybe if and when Brexit is sorted things may start moving more (according to reports).

Disclaimer: I have no opinion on Brexit.

mcooper2406, Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get the estate agents working for you,give them details of what you want,area,budget,etc,can then get ahead of the que for viewing when a new property just comes in.

Things will start moving,it's picking up around here.

Mrgreen1234 likes this.
  6. Mrgreen1234

Mrgreen1234 New Member

Cheers KIAB we're both registered with all the estate agents. We always ring them back to chat even if we're not even interested so we're their "favourites".
    We even did a letter drop last year to various streets we like.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have things well covered.:)

8. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

May I suggest putting a 'Wanted' ad up in all the local newsagents, Co-ops etc. You sound like you're in an excellent position as a buyer and
    if you can help someone thinking of selling save the fees for an estate agent, they might be keen to talk to you.

Mrgreen1234 and KIAB like this.
  9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Two issues I see with your list of likes

Good schools: that means that before you know it children will be around your knees and

Garage with a pit: complete pain to use, always damp, dangerous places and you’ll still need jacks and stands. Find a garage with enough height even for a scissor lift...

Armoured likes this.
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Good schools? Especially now its an absolute Wonka golden ticket.

People would buy a cardboard box if it meant Henrietta and Peregrine getting the very best in French Horn lessons.

Garage with a pit? Perfect panic room or Brexit shelter.

Mrgreen1234 likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So old fashion today,a garage with pit,(was only a few years ago, I was filling them in),& they can be darn dangerous with petrol fumes, as above look for garage with height for 2 or 4 post lift.

Armoured likes this.
  12. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

I won't say where I am but the school I work at has people taking out year long rental agreements on houses near by (and not actually moving in) just to be in the catchment. You'd be amazed the difference that can make!

Mrgreen1234 likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same had been happening here in my part of Somerset as well.

mcooper2406 likes this.