Extending Concrete Fence Posts to Add Trellis

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by _Mark_F_, Feb 8, 2019.

1. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good method for extending concrete fence posts from 5' to 6' so that I can add trellis?

The posts and panels are all in really good condition, so not keen to rip out and re-post, but I would like to increase the height to increase privacy.

I have found these guys:

https://picclick.co.uk/Concrete-Post-Extender-Complete-Cover-Leave-your-post-172383605937.html

but wondering if there are any alternatives I could consider.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mark.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Although quite neat they are very expensive at £27 each. Whilst a new new 8ft post is around £10 - £12.

The problem is that the old posts may not be in that deep and could be made without any reinforcing in them. So if you extend the height, in high winds it may snap or topple over.

Old style fence concrete posts used to have holes in them for wire but you use could also use them to fix timber to. The modern ones have to be drilled which can cause them to shatter

I would probably be inclined to pull them out and fit new ones

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cheaper to fit new posts, & you need 600mm in ground ideally.

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Mark
    Photo's of garden and fridge contents would help

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

o_Oo_O

6. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Cheers Chaps,

It would be just trellis so shouldn't increase topplability too much.
    My camera is broken at the moment and can't find my fridge but thanks for the suggestion!

7. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Thanks all for the suggestions!

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have done exactly what you hoping to do and will post a picture tomorrow as it's raining at mo and need to take a photo........and I'm made of sugar!
    Posts weren't altered to accommodate the trellis.

El_Mag likes this.
  9. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Could mount trellis on new metal posts half way if necessary

10. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Cool! Would be interested to see the photos.

Mark.

11. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I did this by bolting approx 6 foot angle iron onto the middle and top rails which then extended a foot or so above the top of the original fence. Fixed trellis to those. They aren't the prettiest solution but if painted black with a few climbers and other shrubs in front they soon blend in.

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ok,I took some pictures on Saturday but the camera has a problem downloading to the computer think it's called sod's law. Will try again this evening another way

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo need to be 2mb or less, want to resize them,then try Tiny Pic.

http://tinypic.com/

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's not that problem tis the camera not talking to the computer for some reason!

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Did one of them mention Brexit ?

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No that was Winge and Racket on another post which is due for extinction fairly soon .

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had the same issue with my camera,now I just put it's SD card into a SD card reader, a lot easier.

ramseyman likes this.
  18. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Thanks - I think I am going with this option - similar to yours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POSTFIX-Trellis-Fence-Height-Extension-x/dp/B01MRPBYSF

ramseyman likes this.
  19. carl harrison

carl harrison New Member

Easy fence Ltd do an extender that just slips on, its made of steel, looks fantastic, for adding a trellis or extending a slotted concrete post from for example 3 feet to 6 feet in minutes. Solid no digging out the old post, easy to fit, any panel will fit, a total no brainer, and available in colours...

20. carl harrison

carl harrison New Member