What can I do to extend pipe to rear of house

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chairleg, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chairleg

Chairleg New Member

Hi
    I just moved into a house that has no access to a water tap at the rear garden. There is a water tap inside a bin cupboard right in front of our kitchen window. Instead of constantly having to run a hose from front to back is there any way I could run a pipe from the front along
    The base of the wall that goes along my driveway at side of house into rear garden.
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated .

Thanks Del

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Frankly, if you run it outside, you'll be in real danger of meeting me or one of my professional colleagues to repair the frost damage every bad winter,
    no matter how well you try to insulate it.

Screwfix sell some brilliant hosepipe, such as this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fitt-50m-heavy-braided-nts-wintech-hose/6545j

Stick it on a hose reel such as this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-hose-trolley/1478t

And it will be easy to use. We've got exactly this set-up.

I really can't recommend long runs of mains cold water pipe anywhere outside in Britain.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

I agree with the above, unless you've got means of running a new pipe internally then out the back wall you'll have issues in winter.
    Why not run a hose pipe with a non return check valve at the end. That way you don't have to run to the front and turn the tap on and off each time

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I agree.

5. Chairleg

Chairleg New Member

Thank you all so much for your advice. I really didn’t think about the freezing up, so Nieve I am these things really are best left to the people who know best ..

Cheers guys

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If you only need the water in the back garden during the warmer months i.e. for watering the garden you could run a pipe from the front with an isolating stopcock and a draincock at some low point on the pipe run. In winter isolate the pipe run and drain off via the draincock. I'm assuming you can do plumbing work but if not its a case of getting someone in to do it

7. Joe the Plumber

Trust me, you'll never get all the water out of it. It will freeze and then split. I've several customers who have tried this and it simply doesn't work, good though the idea seems.

rogerk101 likes this.
  8. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    When customers have had a leak in the underground supply to kitchen stop tap, rear of house, and the leak is somewhere under the foundations, our way of resolving the issue is.....

Excavate outside to locate incoming supply, core drill from inside to outside hole, aiming for new supply to come in alongside front window.
    Then run new supply up wall behind curtain line, to first floor, and connect to nearest cold water pipe.
    New stop tap at point of entry.
    As you have water inside now, it’s just run a pipe upstairs, in corner of room or wherever you like.
    Then round bed rooms or on up to loft, and back to point of exit.

Just had a thought, am I rambling on ? Having a senior moment ?

Good luck
    Peter

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you got suspended ground floor, could run pipe(do insulate it) in crawl space from front to back of house.

10. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Hello dig up were pipe is and grundamat a supply undernth to rear

11. Spike_hiker

Spike_hiker Member

Run blue or black MDPE pipe round outside of house? Might freeze solid in winter but won’t split. Miles of it on farms all round country. Can get frost resistant (arctic) outside taps to match.

turf3red likes this.
  12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes, but the fittings do blow apart sometimes when they freeze.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  13. Joe the Plumber

I've a customer with just such exposed blue pipework and it's always the fittings that fracture on that when it freezes.