Screwfix Electrian application hassle

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Diver233, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Diver233

Diver233 New Member

My company is mainly fire protection with some commercial electrical works such as emergency lighting etc. No domestic work at all. Anyway every time I called at Lincoln Screwfix the guys on the desk would ask are you electrician, you should register as a electrician you’ll get discounts. So after weeks of asking I decide to bring in the only none paper certificate I had which was a pass card for the 18th edition I had just up graded.
    After explaining why I’d was trying to register and that the only card I had was an 18th edition card, I was asked have you got any other qualification. “ yes I have loads, but I wasn’t that bothered about this in the first place and did not want to cart all my paper certificates down here was my reply”.” I’m a MIET if that helps ?”.
    Blank look from the man at the counter.
    No idea if I have been registered, I have had my own fire company for 20 years and been registered with Screwfix for at least 5 years and all of a sudden they don’t believe a word I’m saying.
    What a waste of my time, Screwfix trade counter what a waste of time.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Your either registered or not. Why don't you call them and find out?

3. Diver233

Diver233 New Member

Hi Columb,
    Guy said he couldn’t process it as it was before 9am so would let me know.
    To be honest, we get good prices at all the wholesalers just sometimes Screwfix are the only ones open.
    Just thought what a load of hassle for not a lot.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Worth doing if you have come this far. You aint gonna be dining out on the savings but better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I see loads of people in the hallowed blue door area and know they don't have any qualifications so not sure why they hassling you, like you said it handy especially at weekends when other places are closed

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

MIET is fully acceptable ... it is on the literature.

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Unless you like coffee and biscuits while you wait you aren't going to save any money a lot of the trade prices are the same!

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

For goodness sake, all this fuss. Its not about QUALIFICATIONS, its if you are a self-employed tradesman you can register for a trade account. You are not being judged about whether you are qualified or have this that or the other certificae or qualification, you just need your business letter head. Thats it. I absolutely despair at the mindless over zealous jobsworth mentality of sales staff. Shame on you Screwfix. Get your act together!

Diver233 likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A trade account is not the same as being a member of the 'exclusive' plumbfix or electrifix trade sections. That said, Comlec has it spot on - the only other advantage I can see is that you will possibly avoid waiting behind the kindly old gentleman who would like to inspect everything before he commits and really only needed five not a box of two hundred.

A branch I was in in Leicester recently had tradesmen queuing out of their blue door because there were only two tills that side whilst there was tumbleweed blowing around in the 'plebs' section and three staff waiting to help.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You can still go in the normal side and get the discount if the trade bit is busy. I agree though, the savings are marginal and not worth going out of your way if there is something else closer, they also sell an extraordinary amount of naff tat to call themselves a trade seller.

Heat, WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Still worth being a Plumbfix or Electricfix member.

You will save on a few items and it can be significant.

You will also get a deal offer for each week of an item linked to your trade

For joining you will get a one off 10% discount on one transaction (of your choice and time) I believe, - that could mean you could spend £1000 on materials and tools and save £100, for example.

You also get money off vouchers (£60) I think, and they can be spent on anything, so are basically cash in your hand.

And you get a more personal service and the separate room away from builders and diy folk and often avoids queues. Plus biscuits and tea if you want.

Why would you not take all that?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. peter palmer

We are apparently due £600 in vouchers from Denmans, I've not organised it personally so I'll believe it when I see it. We only get the odd £20 voucher from Screwfix though.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

My local trade counters are all more or less closed, central Beds area. No one bothers using them.

14. peter palmer

Funny we seem to have an abundance of them, some I've never even heard of until someone says do you use such and such a body for your gear they are really cheap.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For me personally I think its out of order treating plumbers and electricians differently.

I rarely use Screwfix these days. Biggest rival is cheaper, better stocked, better parking and has free tea and coffee.

Plus the TS at Nuneaton is inside a Wickes so often thats a journey saved.

gpierce and Flame like this.
  16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I used my JIB card when I registered at Screwfix.
    Never got any discount vouchers though

17. Diver233

Diver233 New Member

Still not heard a thing from Lincoln Screwfix.

18. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

When I registered, they gave me the cards then and there.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Its basically a Trade UK credit account that you open. That's probably more the motive than anything else.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A trade UK account and plumbfix/electrifix membership are not one and the same.

Risteard likes this.