Aligning metal back boxes for sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Does anyone have any tips for precise alignment of adjacent metal back boxes in a solid plastered wall?
    I'm replacing 2 x 1 gang single boxes with a 2 gang box and a single gang box. I'd like to align the boxes so that there is no vertical gap between the installed sockets. They also need to align horizontally as well! Screwfix item code 60079 dual double/single box would be ideal except its for dry lining only. Item code 48234 is metal, but 2 x single only.
    Anyone tried using conduit fittings to align the 2 boxes with the required space in-between? Did it work? Any other suggestions for correct spacing (apart from use of spirit level and tape measure.....)?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You can get box joining pieces (knockout box spacer) that give the precise spacing, BUT they only work on standard width sockets etc (like white plastic). Some metal plates are larger and these dont work.
    [​IMG]

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Did you say you wanted a double plus a single?
    [​IMG]
    click image for link

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Snap!

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

9. A batten is no use on a plastered wall.

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Bingo!

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Didn't say to USE one, but SEEN peeps attach one to a wall, me I use a laser level.:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. Again, with both the Spacerconnect and the TLC products, they only work with standard size sockets etc

14. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs. Sod's Law they will be metal faced socket & fused spur so I'll need to check if the spacing is compatible with the TLC Double + single box.

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I often use two 20mm couplers to space back boxes.
    It does leave a small gap between face plates though.