BenW

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ben Walby, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

I have a Main Combi 24HE boiler. My current thermostat has only 4 wires:

1x Black
    1x Red
    1x Yellow
    1x Earth.

Could someone help me with what wire goes to what connection on the Hive 2 single channel thermostat.

Am I correct in thinking the red is Permanent live, Black is permanent neutral with yellow being the heating on (almost switch live return to the boiler). There is no hot water control from the thermostat end.

Do I have to install the hive receiver in the boiler cupboard with new wires?

Hope someone can help?

Many thanks!

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Is up to you were the receiver goes.
    It can either go in place of the current thermostat and use its wires (possibly) or the receiver can be fitted next to the boiler but will need wired in.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ben, firstly ignore the idiot above, hopefully he will be gone by morning.

Next, please post photo of your existing connections to the thermostat with a pic of the stat connection assignments, and a diagram of the hive connections.

4. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

Sorry it’s blue, red and yellow wires at the thermostat. I’ve attached the wiring of my thermostat and a diagram of the single channel hive receiver. I’ll send photos of my boilers wiring diagram in next post......

Attached Files:

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

When the idiot above's post does get deleted it will look like you're insulting Mike83. He's one of the most helpful on here. Fighting talk Bazza!

6. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

After looking at the wiring diagram of my boiler it looks like hive receiver requires a 4core and earth wire connecting it’s terminals to the 12 way terminal block. The “optional external controller” on the diagram has the same connection layout as the hive single receiver.

Can anyone please confirm this is correct?

Cheers guys!

Attached Files:

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It’s aimed at
    G O B B O 5

8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I know.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Gobbo should vanish soon.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Approaching 24hrs. KIAB has a point.

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

With your boiler the hive can be wired with 3 wires.
    You need a Live, Neutral and Switched Live.
    The neutral on your current stat needs to be traced to see what it’s connected into.

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the Neutral on the current stat (blue but connected to earth) can be used the receiver could go were the previous stat was located.
    So Red would be Live.
    Yellow number 3
    Blue Neutral.
    And a link between Live and Common (1)

13. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Those posts are usually gone fairly quickly.

14. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

Hi Mike I tried that set up but no power light lit up on receiver. I used a link wire between permanent live and common just nothing happened with the receiver.

I’ve also just tried connecting to the 12 way terminal block in the boiler cupboard using a 4core and earth and following the boiler wiring diagram. Still no power light on the receiver. Any ideas?

Appreciate your help by the way!

Attached Files:

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the boiler has a built in programmer turn that to ON

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The red,grey and black going into the black terminal strip. Were the old thermostat wires into the same terminals

17. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

I’ve taken another photo. The hive receivers the bottom wire. I was following the boilers wiring diagram. I tried connecting the yellow and red down at the original thermostat together but still no power on the receiver.

The boilers wiring diagram says to put hive brown to permanent live on terminal block, grey with blue tape for permanent neutral, earth to earth, then the last wire to the original room stat wire in the terminal.

Is this correct?

I still don’t have any green power light on the hive receiver.

I’ve uploaded a better photo

Again thanks for your help

Attached Files:

18. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the hive has a permanent live and neutral it should power up regardless if it has a common or heating ON.

19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

How do you know what wires are permanent live and neutral.
    Also how do you know what wire the original room stat was.
    The new black wire you fitted connects with a red. Before you put the black in what other wire was in there?

20. Ben Walby

Ben Walby New Member

Hey Mike,

We’re getting some where. I now have power to the receiver. It’s just the central heating doesn’t fire up at all with either the thermostat or pressing the button on the receiver. Please see latest wiring configuration in photo.

Attached Files: