Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You should have more faith in me by now Deleted member 11267, I'm not one to bodgit :cool:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've only used hardibacker one for a small job, does it need adding anything to the surface prior to tiling?

The hardibacker that I fitted need sealing with PVA to stop plaster from crazing.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hardibacker is a finished surface ready to tile onto, no plastering required, just a wipe over with damp cloth as can be dusty

In wet areas it’s recommended to fill screw holes and tape/skim joints between boards, that’s it, ready to tile

Guessing you were plastering then painting as opposed to tiling , or maybe half and half

Never plastered it myself only tiled but yes, recommended on their site to PVA before skimming to control suction

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yep it was half tiled and painted.

5. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

2191A3EE-A295-46D1-AC17-AA1F5D0FDD68.png D21A81D3-1172-460E-B222-9FEC9218CFA9.png 3049B688-B444-4DDC-A96B-8E76802F6ABF.png 0FDBF17E-A0B6-4006-B5D1-B746ADD17906.png Just wanted to say thanks to you for your thread. It was a great resource for me undertaking a similar project and without it I would have made way more mistakes than I’m sure I’ve made anyway but just not realised yet!

A few pictures below; next stage is to sort the interior.

Hans_25, longboat and snappyfish like this.
  6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Fantastic, I went down the route of "professional installation :rolleyes:" cost me a few quid lets say!

Leaks like mad :confused:

Live and learn id say.

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Does anyone know what has happened to @Dr Bodgit ?

Hope he's alright, not seen him post for a while. Was a great help to me on here when I struggled with my cabin.

Hans_25 likes this.
  8. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

No way! Disaster, gutted for you. I think I was quoted £1200 for the install not including the base but I can’t remember for sure. I bet you have no comeback with them either.

I’m not a master craftsman by any stretch and had the advantage of a mate that has the same cabin he put together himself to help. I was amazed how well it went up after all the scare stories but I can say that I think a key to my success has been research beforehand about how to get everything together.

One reason I wanted to self build was the sense of achievement and I’m delighted I did!

snappyfish likes this.
  9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Yes, I paid a similar fee for installation, knowing what I know no id never pay to have one built. I actually rebuilt mine after I paid for installation :eek:

10. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

Well I hope it’s all sorted now and at least you had the enjoyment / satisfaction of building it in the end..... just the long expensive way round

snappyfish likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

He was accused of 'wrong think' and decided it wasn't worth it.
    Dr, B, was a gud-un and it is a shame he was chased away by the morality police on here.
    :(

Hans_25 likes this.
  12. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Ooh some ice cabins there. @terry, have you got space underneath that lovely timber sub base for air to circulate? Great to see its not a concrete base, they're a bit of a bodge.

Yippe ki yay...

13. BillyT

BillyT Member

Glad you like it Hans. It would be such a shame if you thought it was a bodge as it appears he built it in your back garden.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or got banned.

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yeh, he probably did for a week or so, just like most who don't comply.
    I can't imagine someone like, Dr b receiving a lifetime ban, though.
    The members of thinkpol on here had most likely misconstrued whatever he had said - and the shame of it all - prevented him from returning.

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

What he get banned for?

17. Not-a-doctor

Not-a-doctor New Member

I found this thread whilst finding info on how to build a home office in the garden & have found it extremely useful. Got totally sucked into the story and am now reeling that on the last page the OP has been killed off! My thanks to him & all the help from the contributors, I’ve learnt a lot.
    Have gone for 6 foundation posts (starting from clay layering MOT, flag, MOT, cement, flag, bricks, flag) with a timber sub frame (attached pic of that - in progress). Over the ground I put some weed membrane then covered in leftover MOT (not quite finished in pic).
    5x4m cabin turning up Monday!
    Electrics is my next challenge...

Attached Files:

Hans_25 and snappyfish like this.
  18. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

@Dr Bodgit was extremely helpful in my cabin disaster. :)

My cabin has been up a while now, cost me a fortune. I will never ever call in a "pro trade" to do such a job ever again after my experience.

Hans_25 likes this.
  19. Not-a-doctor

Not-a-doctor New Member

yes I read a little about that. Feel for you! With COVID I have limited options. Out of interest did you go with guttering? I’m tempted to add some mini-guttering. I have to replace some 112mm on my house that has been damaged & it only just occurred to me that the cabin would benefit. 5x4 with a ~70cm apex means mini should be grand I think.

20. Rudge

Rudge New Member

Hello Snappy fish, can I ask how many sheets of Celotex you used in the end on your log cabin?. I ask as I’m building a 5.5x 4m log cabin like yours possibly? Clockhouse by Tuin.
    Floor you said was 7 sheets 50mm problem is working out the apex roof area, no beams as I’m putting outside with shingle on top. Is this what you did? Also Did you leave a gap between slab and insulation, my supplier says put it on the slab but put down a DPM under the slab so no moisture rising.

Any help with your quantities would be appreciated as it’s not cheap and difficult to dispose of.